My Bloody Valentine?

Crap
Total votes: 11 (11%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 86 (89%)
Total votes: 97

Band: My Bloody Valentine

crap or not crap i couldn't say -- i've heard bits and pieces here and there. most of it sounded alright. one friend that played them for me made a remark that they went through 6 engineers just trying to get the right cowbell sound. i wasn't sure if he was kidding me or not, so i decided to believe him. it's funnier that way.

I'm gonna go ahead and say CRAP. I used to really like Loveless but then I figured out that I only really liked the first three songs. That album's front-loaded like a motherfucker. I've also heard the very first album where they were a bad rockabilly band. Also, I'm getting tired of waiting for the next album to see if Loveless was a fluke or not. We're headed for contentious genius territory here.

Don't get me wrong, Loveless is a great album that gives me shivers everytime I listen to it.

But the preceeding recordings aren't anything (ha ha), and the whole "I'll never be able to top that record so I'm not ever going to put out any music until it does" attitude of Mr. Sheilds - total puss.

For this reason, with a waffle of 9,

My Bloody Valentine = Crap

Lush and lavish with layers of sound, and gorgeous noise. Guitar sounds that are, at times, reminiscent of a jet engine. Loveless was a phoenominal record to say the very least. But the old stuff was unbearable. Therefore... dividing this band in half!

Pre Isn't Anything - CRAP!!!

Post Isn't Anything - NOT CRAP!!!

All in all... this equals an overall rating of 7... tipping the scales in favor of NOT CRAP!!! It's amazing how a band can ride pretty much on the coattails of one album. It is lovely though... isn't it.
I could have been a contender...

Mr. Chimp wrote:Don't get me wrong, Loveless is a great album that gives me shivers everytime I listen to it.

But the preceeding recordings aren't anything (ha ha), and the whole "I'll never be able to top that record so I'm not ever going to put out any music until it does" attitude of Mr. Sheilds - total puss.

For this reason, with a waffle of 9,

My Bloody Valentine = Crap

MBV have a couple of minor masterpieces in the form of "Sunny Sundae Smile" and "Strawberry Wine," perfect songs (in my opinion) that bear little stylistic relation to loveless. that puts them in geniusland for me.