Band: The Replacements

CRAP
Total votes: 14 (26%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 40 (74%)
Total votes: 54

I really thought we did them, but ok.

I feel kind of ho-hum towards this band. They've done some boring shit, but they've done some fairly entertaining stuff too. I will say that everytime I've listened to a bootleg of an early 80s show, I've been pretty impressed. So crazy, so energetic. But then there's their studio stuff. And the ballads.

I really like that song "Seen Your Video." "Bastards of Young," "Left of the Dial," and "Alex Chilton" are pretty cool too.

However, I consider the Tim version of "Can't Hardly Wait" to be one of the top 50 rock songs of all time (not the version on Pleased to Meet Me with all the horns and shit). I think you can find this version on that compilation they put out in the mid-90s.

Overall: CRAP. Waffle factor: 7.

Connor

I give them a Not Crap sans waffle factor, as long as I don't have to analyze the crap they did right now...

I love the Replacements. I even love Pleased To Meet Me. My favorite is Let It Be. I didn't even mind All Shook Down at the time, but Don't Tell a Soul always depressed me. Don't know why.

Wow, the waffle factor is getting brighter as I wake up a lil' this morning....

Still not crap.
there is only one clear path and it's paved with bacon.

My Flickr Weighs a Ton

the last couple records are truly dreadful

it's funny to go back and listen to a band you like go down the tubes like that. i always make excuses for them at the time.

it's not really that funny

_stink_ and _let it be_ hold up pretty well, still. a lot of _tim_ is good. that was their transition album from 'totally slipshod' to 'totally overworked.'

it's all flimsier than i thought at the time, but it's also easy for me to see why it affected me as much as it did. which was quite a bit.

not crap

CRAP.

:WF: zero

After being a huge teenage Husker Du fan, and constantly reading The Replacements being mentioned in articles relating to seminal post hardcore bands of the Du's ilk, I finally checked them out.

"wtf?!?" my teen-self thought.

Crap songs with a crap sound.

CRAP.

I cannot get into anything this band did. I've tried to understand what people love about this band, but I just cannot. Their music does not appeal to me in the least. CRAP.
matthew wrote:His Life and his Death gives us LIFE.......supernatural life- which is His own life because he is God and Man. This is all straight Catholicism....no nuttiness or mystical crap here.

I'm amazed so many people are bad-mouthing the 'Mats. They're one of my favorite bands ever. The whole drunken sot factor gets played up FAR too much (though they admittedly played into it themselves) ... on a good night they were a tight and frantic rock band, and the records up through Pleased To Meet Me range from very good to brilliant. Whatever they did on their last two albums (or as solo artists) will never take away how I immediately fell in love with "I Will Dare," and "Heyday" and "Left Of The Dial" the first time I heard 'em.

I'm gonna listen to Sorry Ma ... right now. Not crap.