Cheap Trick?

CRAP
Total votes: 5 (8%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 58 (92%)
Total votes: 63

Band: Cheap Trick

Tough call. Cheap Trick put out a bunch of shitty records. And although I love certain songs from Dream Police, In Color, and Heaven Tonight, it's still hard to hear them live then listen to how watered down and glossy the studio stuff is (with the obvious exception of the near-perfect first record). Christ, it doesn't even sound like the same band!

I initially had a hard time accepting Zander's vocals, as for a kid who grew up in a post-poodle metal world, it's hard to separate the initial similarity.

I recently picked up Cheap Trick (1997) and was pleasantly surprised. "You Let A Lotta People Down" is one of their best.

I thought Budokan was pretty damn impressive, then I picked up the recent two-disc set and was absolutely blown away. It pretty much makes the original single-disc album obsolete. And nothing can fucking touch that first record.

I hope I age as gracefully as Tom Peterson.

NOT CRAP.

Connor

I got a boot version of a modern studio re-do of In Color that was supposed to be done by Steve, it includes some new versions of old B-Sides and unreleased material... BTW, It sounds phenomenal.

Hey Steve!!, any comment??

Are any others done?? and are they going to officially see the light of day??

2nd Rick wrote:I got a boot version of a modern studio re-do of In Color that was supposed to be done by Steve, it includes some new versions of old B-Sides and unreleased material... BTW, It sounds phenomenal.

Hey Steve!!, any comment??

Are any others done?? and are they going to officially see the light of day??

Here's a related, non-informational thread with a ggreat play by pdc_heavy.
http://www.electrical.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3908

Xheap Trick? Not crap. I even like "the Flame." Robin Z. has a great voice. very striking.

Faiz
kerble is right.

Dylan wrote:I think if you were to base the voting on radio play, definitely CRAP.

I disagree.

"I Want You To Want Me", "Surrender", "Dream Police", "Voices" and "Ain't That A Shame" are beautiful rock radio singles, and more than make up for "The Flame" and "Don't Be Cruel".

And I think that "Tonight It's You" and "If You Want My Love" work well as rock radio singles, too.

But, as Dylan also indicates, Cheap Trick is much more than their radio hits. The first four Cheap Trick studio albums (plus "Live At Budokan") are great and beautiful. How I love those records.

And even during their non-Tom Peterson "down" years, they were able to knock out great singles like "She's Tight".

And having seen them in concert recently, I will attest to the fact that they still bring it. Are they a better band than they were in 1978? They just might be. In my book, there is much to be said for a band that comes back with such a vengeance.

Anyway, Cheap Trick is an easy NOT CRAP vote for me.

What a band.