Beatles vs. Misfits

Beatles
Total votes: 32 (67%)
Misfits
Total votes: 16 (33%)
Total votes: 48

Either-Or: The Beatles vs. The Misfits.

This is based on a drunken conversation I've had with some friends a couple of times. As accomplished musicians and songwriters as Lennon/McCarthy are, I always have and always will enjoy the Misfits more. To me, The Misfits are much better than The Beatles. Some consider this blasphemy. I think blasphemy makes the world go 'round.

Oh, and saying "apples and oranges" is a cop out.
Police Teeth: we like Void so much, we decided not to sound like them.

In my opinion the Misfits are not fit to de-flea the dogs owned by the people who pick up the garbage from the folks who manufacture and distribute the bathroom tissue used to whip the ass of the guy who cleans the pool of Bernard Purdy... who falsely claims to have drummed on the early Beatles records. Sorry. That is as close to the Beatles as Glenn and the gang will ever get.

I like the Beatles (from Rubber Soul on) quite a lot, but I detest a whole bunch of their songs. I can't think of a Misfits song I don't like.

Misfits win this one easily for me. They're one of my all-time favorite bands. The Beatles, not so much.
matthew wrote:His Life and his Death gives us LIFE.......supernatural life- which is His own life because he is God and Man. This is all straight Catholicism....no nuttiness or mystical crap here.

Nothing against The Beatles but I don't own any of their albums but I own a few Misfits albums and love them.

Misfits it is.

While we're at it, can anyone tell me which Misfits albums I should own and which to avoid? Whenever I'm considering buying one I look at the back cover and see it was released in 98 or something. That doesnt sound promising.
simmo wrote:Someone make my carrot and grapefruits smoke. Please.

Rotten Tanx wrote:While we're at it, can anyone tell me which Misfits albums I should own and which to avoid? Whenever I'm considering buying one I look at the back cover and see it was released in 98 or something. That doesnt sound promising.

The only thing released (from the original lineup) after '85 were collections, the Static Age sessions, and the live album, Evilive. If you're looking at stuff that was released in the '98 or something like that then you're probably looking at the "Resurrected" lineup, which only released two albums...American Psycho and Famous Monsters.

Stick with the old stuff. Trust me.

By the way, did anyone hear about Glenn and Doyle doing like half an hour worth of Misfits stuff, in the middle of his Danzig set? Crazy shit. It was the first time the two have performed together in 20 years. And actually it was the first time Doyle has taken to the stage since he went on hiatus.
Oh, and fuck Mars Volta.

If nothing else can be said of the Beatles (which I don't believe is the case), at least they had the good sense to quit when they knew they had peaked (and even made Abbey Road to compensate for the fact Let It Be sucked). The Misfits had already started to get dodgy before they broke up (lets face it, Static Age and Walk Among Us were easily their best records, and it all went downhill after that), and the work of the post-Danzig edition of the band has been thoroughly dreadful. (You would think a band with Marky Ramone and Dez Cadena would at least be fun, but not so at all.)

Also worth considering: the Beatles' dumb hair was better than the Misfits' dumb hair. The Beatles made better records and inspired a lot of good bands, while the Misfits seem to have inspired a lot of untalented assholes. And every day I see at least one fate moronic metal kid wearing a Misfits shirt, and while you can't blame a band for their fans, the fact they attract so many stupid people with bad taste has to mean something.

Mark Lansing wrote:The Beatles made better records.

This is a huge understatement. Huge!
I've got nothing against the Misfits, or a couple of the Danzing records. I think some of it is very cool.
But the Misfits are more properly compared to, say, Negative Approach, or other bands that were their contemporaries and operated in a similar fashion.
The goddamn Beatles? Sometimes I think people talk about the Beatles having no more exposure to their work than 10-15 of the most famous songs and the Ed Sullivan footage of the screaming girls.

Mark Lansing wrote:You would think a band with Marky Ramone and Dez Cadena would at least be fun, but not so at all.

It's sad isn't it? Especially when you see Dez in make up...and glasses. Marky left...and Robo is back. But the most important thing, and I think it speaks volumes, is that Doyle left. Jerry's own brother can't even support his endeavors! It pisses me off when I think what that band has become.
Oh, and fuck Mars Volta.

Mark Lansing wrote:The Beatles made better records and inspired a lot of good bands, while the Misfits seem to have inspired a lot of untalented assholes.

The Beatles never inspired any untalented assholes in godawful bands! No way!

Mark Lansing wrote:And every day I see at least one fate moronic metal kid wearing a Misfits shirt, and while you can't blame a band for their fans, the fact they attract so many stupid people with bad taste has to mean something.

Never in my life have I seen some total jerkoff wearing a Beatles shirt! I'm sure all the Beatles "fans" out there have otherwise impeccable musical taste.

I don't disagree with you about the Misfits having many stupid fans and inspiring many terrible bands, but I the Beatles are "guilty" of the same things, probably to a much higher degree.

And, yes, I realize this is all subjective and a completely stupid thing to argue.
matthew wrote:His Life and his Death gives us LIFE.......supernatural life- which is His own life because he is God and Man. This is all straight Catholicism....no nuttiness or mystical crap here.