I d like a studio internship in London, UK. Can anyone help?

Hey guys,

I am doing a Music Tech degree at Rose Bruford, Kent and I am finding the course good because I love music, and bad because it is moving slowly and the other students love beer more than music.

No one on the course knows who Shellac, Don Caballero, Matmos, Battles, Tortoise (and whoever else you care to name) are. They are mostly obsessed with Guns 'n' Roses and trying to play guitar solo's faster and louder than the previous days attempt. It's kinda monotonous.... And frustrating because there is so much potential. The studio's are always empty.

My question is... Is there anyone out there who owns a studio in London, or knows someone who does, which is interested in a similar sort of music (or not actually, any studio will do!) I would really benefit from just being around some people who love music more than beer for a start. The studio time would be a bonus. I don't care about being paid.

If you think you can help, please send me an email. Feel free to ask me questions before offering anything. (That assumption is going ahead of myself there)

Thanks,

Andy Hammond

If there is plenty of free studio time at the uni, why not throw yourself in the deep end, and start recording local bands? None of them will have any money, so there is no issues there other than you may get more drinks bought for you when you go out. The most important thing is the experience you'll get from figuring out how to handle a recording session with a band.

I've just started at a studio, and I completely underestimated the importance of good communication/people skills for getting a successful session.

Good luck...

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have thought about that, I have done a couple of friends bands in there, as a favour or swap for something they are good at (Flash website building most recently).

I am a little funny about bringing people in that I/the college don't know at all, just because if something breaks I'll get the blame. Also the college don't fix things too quick, and we would be without whatever is broke for a very long time! But now you have re-awakened that train of thought in me, I suppose I could frequent a few gigs, and pick and choose someone who doesn't look like they are going to kick the speakers :) Hell the people on my course must do it anyway, the nearfields in both main studio's are blown atm.

I am sure everyone who reads this forum knows that to succeed in making a living from music, its more about who you know than what Uni you went to (or didn't). Finding a studio around London that can spare a little time is near impossible. Something I understand completely, but is a source of frustration. I was just trying my luck posting a message on here for that elusive invitation.

Unrelated, I like this forum :) there are a lot of strange threads. Most amusing I think has been the grammar discussion thread, which went on forever. Unfortunately, its finer points were lost on me, I am no good at grammer.

Thanks again for the advice.

Im waiting in suspense for you London studio owners to get in contact... (The odds of it happening are sadly small I imagine)

Andy H

hey, I don't own a London studio, but I do record in them.
As far as I know there is no such thing as internships in England as there is in North America. The best thing to do is start by just being able to hang out in a studio, watching and learning when you get to and then maybe you'll be asked to plug in a mic, and then maybe even record something. Its a common path for engineers to go from 'teaboy' to assistant to engineer.
So many London rooms have been closing down lately, so there must be a large amount of engineers looking for work. Its going to be tough.
Call some studios, ask.
I hope he doesn't get pissed off with me but try calling Shaun at the Fortress in Old Street.

good luck.
born in cardiff, raised by wolves

Get your phone book out and go to the recording services page. Choose some (or all) of the studios and send them a letter and your CV. It's true that we don't have interns over here, but people will want someone to make tea and clear up in return for giving you some advice. I live in Preston nr Manchester and in and around Preston there is about ten studios. So in London there must be hundreds!

Some other good advice from ferrisio was to get local bands into your university studio. I agree, any chance you get to record anyone or anything, do it. No matter how shit you think a band is, you can learn something from the session, whether it be microphone placement or people skills, both of which are equally important.

alternatively, get yourself a 1/2" 8-track, desk, a few microphones and two rooms and invite friends that play instrument round for you to record them.
Ryan website / myspace

Ryan wrote:Get your phone book out and go to the recording services page. Choose some (or all) of the studios and send them a letter and your CV. It's true that we don't have interns over here, but people will want someone to make tea and clear up in return for giving you some advice. I live in Preston nr Manchester and in and around Preston there is about ten studios. So in London there must be hundreds!

Some other good advice from ferrisio was to get local bands into your university studio. I agree, any chance you get to record anyone or anything, do it. No matter how shit you think a band is, you can learn something from the session, whether it be microphone placement or people skills, both of which are equally important.

alternatively, get yourself a 1/2" 8-track, desk, a few microphones and two rooms and invite friends that play instrument round for you to record them.

Preston eh?! Don't s'pose you know Ivan Campo, do you?

I'd like a studio internship in London, UK. Can anyone help?

If your having trouble getting into the larger studios you can try my friend Mark at Big Smoke Studios. He is around the Wembley area I believe. Studio is on the smaller side but he's got nice gear and the room sounds good. He is a fucking wizard with surround sound mic techniques and 5.1 mixing so that could be useful to you.I've said it a few times on here but if your not having any luck finding an internship in a studio try doing the live sound thing for a bit. You'll meet lots of bands this way and the skills you gain with EQ, compression and people will transfer to the studio.