Chat Pile: Crap/NotCrap

NotCrap
Total votes: 14 (82%)
Crap
Total votes: 3 (18%)
Total votes: 17

Re: Band: Chat Pile

Gave it a listen. Thumbs up.

1) this band sounds best when they keep the super low/heavy doom riffs to a minimum, for punctuation.
2) I like it, but don't really want to listen to the whole record all at once. Three songs in a row is about the right amount for me.
3) At least it is kind of varied in sound from song to song after you get past the first two tracks.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

tommy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:35 am
dumbass wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:20 pm sounds like a drum machine because it is one, drummer's playing a e kit
Interesting.
Agreed, that's a new one, I didn't think anyone outside of church bands played those. That said, the rhythms don't really take advantage of the 'hybrid' approach and basically sound like Godflesh.
Music

penningtron wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:49 pm
dumbass wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:20 pm sounds like a drum machine because it is one, drummer's playing a e kit
Interesting.
Agreed, that's a new one, I didn't think anyone outside of church bands played those. That said, the rhythms don't really take advantage of the 'hybrid' approach and basically sound like Godflesh.
I think most shreddy tech death players use modeled amps now too.

penningtron wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:49 pm
Interesting.
I had a fun time wrestling with this as an almost philosophical question! Very interesting drum angle IMO.

If the sounds are essentially pad-triggered drum machine, and the beats are on the grid (even better if they edited the drums for timing at all), then there's a brilliant perversity in jumping through those hoops to achieve exactly the same end result as you could with programmed drums.

Sort of similar to Meshuggah on the records where they used programmed samples of a live kit, even though their drummer is AMAZING and had to be able to play the stuff...but the opposite...

i'll try to find the interview, but they confirmed the electronic drums was a compromise due to the DIY recording approach + cost.

Here you go:https://newnoisemagazine.com/interviews ... chat-pile/
Stin: The drums are actually an e-kit played live by Cap’n Ron with no click track. The e-kit triggers drum samples that we can manipulate to give an industrial tonal quality to–no time correction though! This makes self-recording a breeze and gives us the liberty to manipulate the sound to be quite a bit larger than life.