Re: Gear talk: TALK ME OUT OF IT

Bubber wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:15 am
ErikG wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:07 am Talk me out of either or both:

[ . . . ]Honda Fit.
I was very glad to sell my Fit within a few months of buying it, about a decade ago. It's sort of supposed to do two things but does neither well: you can't actually fit very much in it, and it's not that great of a city car bc the mpg is mediocre. Catalytic converter thefts notwithstanding, been much happier with an old Prius which can still hold about as much as a Fit, and an old Sienna minivan for when what I need is a minivan.
I loved my 2006 Fit. I had it for 13 years. Put about 130,000 miles on it. I only ever had to replace the ignition coils, which I did in about 15 minutes. Replacing the oil myself was a piece of cake. I could fit a 4 piece 22’ kick drum set and 2 people in it. I could also fit a mountain bike in there with the back seats folded up and the front wheel removed. I was though disappointed in the city mpg, getting about 30, which was a considerable drop from my Ford Festiva’s remarkable 43 mpg. It was not a super fun car to drive really, although I had a manual and could be a bit enjoyable at times. I can only assume the auto is more sluggish.

Jon
moe.

ErikG wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:07 am Talk me out of either or both:

Subaru Impreza and/or Honda Fit.

Technically this counts because I'd be driving one to gigs.

EDIT: Just to clarify, my bandmate's vehicle does most of the gear haulin' so this is more of a general vehicle questions.

Much appreciated.
I know it's a bit bigger and probably a bit pricier, but my wife and I just bought a new Honda HRV and we love it. The latest models are basically suv version of Civics, whereas the older ones were SUV Fits. Ours is AWD, gas milage is nothing special, but it's a great car so far. My vehicle is a 2000 outback, which I love and will drive into the ground. The HRV has comparable interior space, though I haven't packed it to the gills yet.

mdc wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:43 am yeah but how much did you pay for the time machine?
$300 does seem like a bit much. There's a used one on GC right now for $250 which is about what I'd expect.

$200 feels like the target price for me given overall price increases with gear across the board - I mean these are worth every bit of $300 but it's still an old, heavy solid-state Peavey.

Better deals to be had I think if you don't mind meeting people in their weird spaces.

Garth wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:55 am
mdc wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:43 am yeah but how much did you pay for the time machine?
$300 does seem like a bit much. There's a used one on GC right now for $250 which is about what I'd expect.

$200 feels like the target price for me given overall price increases with gear across the board - I mean these are worth every bit of $300 but it's still an old, heavy solid-state Peavey.

Better deals to be had I think if you don't mind meeting people in their weird spaces.
$250 is the correct price. BUT, we’re quibbling over $50 and my time is personally worth more. If it is in excellent condition, has all of the knobs, AND has the footswitch (most don’t), I say go for it if it’s easy to get to. Better yet, see if they’ll deliver it to you and that $50 is starting to seem even more less important. These and the Musician heads both rule.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

Good point about being in good condition because certainly serviceability is something to consider with these old Peaveys too.

Drifting out of topic here but there was a local guy who said he couldn't fix a broken knob on a 2x12 Peavey Special. This wasn't a dude that was a particularly great tech so I'm taking it w/ a grain of salt but his whole thing was that he couldn't get parts for it. Any of our actual techs here in the tech room been inside old Peaveys to confirm if these can even be repaired? I suspect the prices of these have been so rock bottom that most folks have been like "chuck it" if it goes wonky.

That amp was a surprisingly decent-sounding & versatile amp, getting towards the end of the "good years" of Peavey lineage.

Garth wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:05 am Good point about being in good condition because certainly serviceability is something to consider with these old Peaveys too.

Drifting out of topic here but there was a local guy who said he couldn't fix a broken knob on a 2x12 Peavey Special. This wasn't a dude that was a particularly great tech so I'm taking it w/ a grain of salt but his whole thing was that he couldn't get parts for it. Any of our actual techs here in the tech room been inside old Peaveys to confirm if these can even be repaired? I suspect the prices of these have been so rock bottom that most folks have been like "chuck it" if it goes wonky.

That amp was a surprisingly decent-sounding & versatile amp, getting towards the end of the "good years" of Peavey lineage.
Even if you couldn't source the correct PCB-mount pot, there's no reason you couldn't install a regular pot in there and fly some wires down to the board. I do it all the time. You may not get a matching knob if the shaft is different, but you'll get something usable.

Nate Dort wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:18 am
Garth wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:05 am Good point about being in good condition because certainly serviceability is something to consider with these old Peaveys too.

Even if you couldn't source the correct PCB-mount pot, there's no reason you couldn't install a regular pot in there and fly some wires down to the board. I do it all the time. You may not get a matching knob if the shaft is different, but you'll get something usable.
That's exactly what I suspected but wasn't able to confirm. That geographical area has always been very lean w/ solid amp techs & he never got any further business from me after that.