Wine - alcoholic drink made from fermented fruit

Red
Total votes: 23 (82%)
White
Total votes: 5 (18%)
Total votes: 28

Re: Wine

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Watched the following video last night b/c, being an enginerd, I love(d) the show Modern Marvels. Some stuff easy for me to follow having experience with brewing beer and cider but lots that I didn't know.

jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

RyanZ wrote:I did shift- I put my label on ice and took over the winemaking/GM role for Copain Wines in late 2017
Well, shit. Congratulations. Granted, this writeup is from ages ago but, from the sound of things, that's not a bad place to land at all. And I'm pretty sure the estate has been keeping it real, so to speak, during the ensuing years:
Chambers Street Wines wrote:Copain (is the best California Pinot and Syrah I've ever tasted): Some of us have had a lot of trouble with California wine because it’s so often too much of a good thing – too much fruit, too much extract, too much alcohol (and not enough acidity), and too expensive. There are some exceptions to the rule – Porter Creek, Inman, Edmunds St John, Hirsch, for example; probably a lot of stuff that we’d like doesn’t make it to the east coast. A recent visit to the Russian River was a blast – just the beauty of the place makes the trip worthwhile – and a visit to Copain was a revelation.

I'll keep an eye out for that 2023 Daybreak, when the time comes. As you could probably guess, I like a noncloying, aromatic white blend. That is one odd mix of grapes. Will be interesting to see how you kept both the gewürz and viognier in check, as both of them tend to dominate whenever they're around. (Unless it's just really small percentages of them)

And seconding that Lynch book. Wonderful, formative read for me. Not gonna massively expand most people's wine knowledge, but it certainly has passion and lights a fire about the subject. Palmento: A Sicilian Wine Odyssey, by Robert Camuto, is a very different read (more of a travelogue than a memoir), but it loosely falls into this category, as well.

RyanZ wrote:I did shift- I put my label on ice and took over the winemaking/GM role for Copain Wines in late 2017
Do y’all distribute out to the Midwest/Illinois? Would happily buy a bottle if so. (Did a quick search on the local mega liquor store web site and didn’t see any Copain Wines.)

jfv wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:37 pm
Do y’all distribute out to the Midwest/Illinois? Would happily buy a bottle if so. (Did a quick search on the local mega liquor store web site and didn’t see any Copain Wines.)
We're pretty small production so mostly in restaurants and smaller/independent retail. Try Lush in Chicago. Not sure outside of Chicago. Should be easier to find in Madison and Milwaukee since I am originally from WI and have more connection there.
New Shit:
https://lamekites.bandcamp.com/album/less-one
Discogs:
https://www.discogs.com/seller/ryanzepaltas/profile

RyanZ wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:24 am
We're pretty small production so mostly in restaurants and smaller/independent retail. Try Lush in Chicago. Not sure outside of Chicago. Should be easier to find in Madison and Milwaukee since I am originally from WI and have more connection there.
Thanks for the response. I'll look for them out here.

I do usually make a trip or two out to the SF Bay area each year and might ask you again then.

jfv wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:03 am
RyanZ wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:24 am

Thanks for the response. I'll look for them out here.

I do usually make a trip or two out to the SF Bay area each year and might ask you again then.
Hit me up if you are ever in the SF bay. I'm just an hour north.
New Shit:
https://lamekites.bandcamp.com/album/less-one
Discogs:
https://www.discogs.com/seller/ryanzepaltas/profile

OrthodoxEaster wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:13 pm The much-hyped Frank Cornelissen's wines used to be a fun, fascinating ride (if not always consistent), but nowadays, they're sort of dull. Victims of their own success?
The story I heard about Frank Cornelissen is that he was visiting the US to promote his wines and was very surprised how much different they performed here than in Sicily; he didn't like his own wines when drinking them in the US. I don't know if he used sulfur in the past, perhaps this was the fascinating and inconsistent part, but he made some changes to his winemaking, I know he uses some sulfur now. IMO the wines are indeed more consistent, and better.

Russo is great, specifically his Feudo d'Mezzo bottling, and his whites are phenomenal. For Etna: Terre Nere, Benanti, Curtaz, Calabretta also very good. Does Calabretta do an actual Etna DOC or does he declassify everything?
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

enframed wrote:
OrthodoxEaster wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:13 pm The much-hyped Frank Cornelissen's wines used to be a fun, fascinating ride (if not always consistent), but nowadays, they're sort of dull. Victims of their own success?
The story I heard about Frank Cornelissen is that he was visiting the US to promote his wines and was very surprised how much different they performed here than in Sicily; he didn't like his own wines when drinking them in the US. I don't know if he used sulfur in the past, perhaps this was the fascinating and inconsistent part, but he made some changes to his winemaking, I know he uses some sulfur now. IMO the wines are indeed more consistent, and better.

Russo is great, specifically his Feudo d'Mezzo bottling, and his whites are phenomenal. For Etna: Terre Nere, Benanti, Curtaz, Calabretta also very good. Does Calabretta do an actual Etna DOC or does he declassify everything?
See, now I heard it was more b/c of the use of a colder cellar and possibly b/c of personnel changes. He does employ a little sulfur now, but not often, I don't think. And the wines started flattening out before that, in my opinion. I just find them way less thrilling and vibrant, despite the increase in consistency. Some of them are also way too expensive.

I don't hate Susucaru rosé now, it just doesn't drink like it did during the very best releases years ago. (Hell, I've also heard cynics claim that Action Bronson endorsing it increased demand, which led to a more technocratic approach in the cellar. But that last conclusion might be a bunch of bullshit.)

I met Cornelissen once. Very different dude than his reputation. Extremely pleasant. Not dogmatic.

Still, I miss the old wines. When they were bad, they sucked. Alcoholic heat. Stink. But when they were on, they were amazing.

Sicily is funny. So much great wine there, but most people still drink garbage. (Although maybe you could say that about most places?)

Calabretta used to be DOC. But Massimliano was declassified to an IGT quite a few years ago now. Dunno if he didn't wanna play by the rules or pay off the right people. Or if he was merely kicked out of the scene, maaaaan.

Maybe add Passopisciaro to that list of good trad Etna?

OrthodoxEaster wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:56 pm
enframed wrote:

See, now I heard it was more b/c of the use of a colder cellar and possibly b/c of personnel changes. He does employ a little sulfur now, but not often, I don't think. And the wines started flattening out before that, in my opinion. I just find them way less thrilling and vibrant, despite the increase in consistency. Some of them are also way too expensive.

I don't hate Susucaru rosé now, it just doesn't drink like it did during the very best releases years ago. (Hell, I've also heard cynics claim that Action Bronson endorsing it increased demand, which led to a more technocratic approach in the cellar. But that last conclusion might be a bunch of bullshit.)

I met Cornelissen once. Very different dude than his reputation. Extremely pleasant. Not dogmatic.

Still, I miss the old wines. When they were bad, they sucked. Alcoholic heat. Stink. But when they were on, they were amazing.

Sicily is funny. So much great wine there, but most people still drink garbage. (Although maybe you could say that about most places?)

Calabretta used to be DOC. But Massimliano was declassified to an IGT quite a few years ago now. Dunno if he didn't wanna play by the rules or pay off the right people. Or if he was merely kicked out of the scene, maaaaan.

Maybe add Passopisciaro to that list of good trad Etna?
Have not had Passopisciaro, but see 'em around. I'll give one a whirl next time I feel like an Etna. Thanks for the recommendation!

I don't think one can blame a cold cellar or new employees. It's his wine, he has final say. Climate change would be a more appropriate place to point fingers. It's my understanding he uses sulfur now, always. Not a lot of sulfur, but enough for a consistent product to travel across the globe under possibly strenuous conditions, which is important. Agree that some Etna are way too expensive, and not just Cornelissen.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale