Recording with an iPad

Dear hivemind,

My iPad died and I’m considering new gear… Has anyone here recorded with an iPad or iPad Pro or would it always be better to use something like a MacBook Air?

I like the idea of having a tablet but I’m wondering if I can record guitar and electronic music on it at a decent level. But the new MacBook Air looks pretty great.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Re: Recording with an iPad

Garth wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:46 am The file management thing is what always messes me up w ipad/iphone recording. Lack of peripherals like a mouse kinda makes me nuts too.

Id go w the mba if you have that option, but that could be age/set in my ways.
Yeah. Since you can iOS apps on new Macs is a bit of a no brainier in the end. Going with a MacBook Air.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

I've used an iPad with a Steinberg UR22 MK2 interface, and it worked perfectly fine, as in plug and play. I didn't use it for recording but for doing measurements on circuits and DIY projects.

I too think that working with a laptop would be easier. also, get Reaper if you haven't decided on a DAW yet.

bassdriver wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:29 pm I've used an iPad with a Steinberg UR22 MK2 interface, and it worked perfectly fine, as in plug and play. I didn't use it for recording but for doing measurements on circuits and DIY projects.

I too think that working with a laptop would be easier. also, get Reaper if you haven't decided on a DAW yet.
Thanks for the DAW tip. I was going to default to GarageBand. I’ll check out Reaper.