Faith vs. Void

Faith
Total votes: 1 (9%)
Void
Total votes: 10 (91%)
Total votes: 11

Re: Faith/Void split

penningtron wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:36 pm Will anybody vote Faith? I don't even remember what they sound like..

These days I prefer the Faith side, much like I did when I first got it. Could change 6 months from now.

Regardless, THE BEST SPLIT LP IN PUNK ROCK HISTORY
"More open-minded than Catholics".

PASTA wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:16 pm
penningtron wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:36 pm Will anybody vote Faith? I don't even remember what they sound like..

These days I prefer the Faith side, much like I did when I first got it. Could change 6 months from now.

Void is a fucking mutant swamp monster that comes out of nowhere. That anything that sloppy could ever sound so massive is half the fascination.

Faith are a different thing. As the third best hardcore band on the label (behind Minor Threat and Scream) they seem merely serviceable. But when you hear the Subject to Change EP (which the label tacked on to the CD reissue of this that I grew up with) you can hear their kind of proto emo inventiveness. Michael Fellows definitely has some guitar ideas that will expand into the Rights of Spring thing, but then Eddie Janney gets his own journey into One Last Wish. It's cool to hear the beginning of the "wait, what if it wasn't only power chords" ideas creep in.

Also I might have to put up "the Shit Split) Filth/Blatz as another punk split heavy weight.

losthighway wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:19 pm

Also I might have to put up "the Shit Split) Filth/Blatz as another punk split heavy weight.
Blatz gets it for “Lullabye”

Void

This is like asking a vegan if they like coconut yoghurt!

VOID for all the obvious reasons- when I first heard it I became mildly obsessed - just loved the chaos. The other demos don’t do it for me much tho. Also it’s the whole package w VOID - the great logo/font (so easy to screen print!), the weird artwork and photos …. Hell I’m gonna go put it on right now!

Faith loses here cos it’s like a bantam weight going against Tyson… also Alec McKayes singing is kinda crap - they totally redeemed themselves w “subject to change” tho - great ep.

Love the split as a medium - perfect balance….i can’t think of any other 12” hardcore ones offhand (ones that are actually good), just 7”ers

Hail VOID!!

losthighway wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:19 pm

. It's cool to hear the beginning of the "wait, what if it wasn't only power chords" ideas creep in.

Also I might have to put up "the Shit Split) Filth/Blatz as another punk split heavy weight.[/b]
That's the deadlock.
"More open-minded than Catholics".

penningtron wrote: Will anybody vote Faith? I don't even remember what they sound like..
The Boy Scouts of America playing punk.
Iancee wrote:Love the split as a medium - perfect balance….i can’t think of any other 12” hardcore ones offhand (ones that are actually good), just 7”ers
Not quite hardcore in the most formal sense, but Big Boys and the Dicks: Recorded Live At Raul's Club. Not a bad record at all!

Oh, and Jesus Christ, I voted Void. Naturally. That guitar (feedback, metal solos) and those losing-my-shit vocals. The Faith is competent DC hardcore, whereas Void is just... nuts.

Maybe someone should start a Minor Threat vs. No Trend poll. Results might be closer. (Although my vote is probably painfully obvious.)