Wine - alcoholic drink made from fermented fruit

Red
Total votes: 23 (82%)
White
Total votes: 5 (18%)
Total votes: 28

Re: Wine

enframed wrote: Thanks for the recommendation!

I don't think one can blame a cold cellar or new employees. It's his wine, he has final say. Climate change would be a more appropriate place to point fingers. It's my understanding he uses sulfur now, always. Not a lot of sulfur, but enough for a consistent product to travel across the globe under possibly strenuous conditions, which is important. Agree that some Etna are way too expensive, and not just Cornelissen.
My pleasure. Addtn: Eduardo Torres Acosta also makes some worthy Etna, leaning a little more natural and often on the lighter side.

If I'm remembering it right, Cornelissen has some consultant from Bordeaux (!) overseeing things, which struck many people as an odd move. But you're right in that Frank is probably the one calling the shots.

In terms of climate change, that can't be denied, pretty much worldwide. Funny thing is that I remember some of his wines actually drinking hotter back in the day than they do now. (From hot vintages, obviously.)

I've had no-SO2 stuff that's come out of a container just fine, and no-SO2 stuff that's been total garbage. Just kinda depends on the wine, the winemaker, and a little bit of luck. There's plenty of sloppy natural winemaking and bottles that might benefit from a touch of sulfur, but there are possibly even more oversulfured bores out there, as well. I certainly won't kick great riesling out of bed b/c of SO2, but I also don't shy away from producers that eschew the stuff.

RyanZ wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:41 am
jfv wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:03 am
RyanZ wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:24 am

We're pretty small production so mostly in restaurants and smaller/independent retail. Try Lush in Chicago. Not sure outside of Chicago. Should be easier to find in Madison and Milwaukee since I am originally from WI and have more connection there.
Thanks for the response. I'll look for them out here.

I do usually make a trip or two out to the SF Bay area each year and might ask you again then.
Hit me up if you are ever in the SF bay. I'm just an hour north.
Hey Ryan, I'll actually be out there next week for work.. though I won't be renting a car since the company I am visiting is in South San Francisco (i.e., close to the airport), and I'm limited on time anyway, so visiting your winery is likely not in the cards. That being said, what'd be a good store to visit around there to purchase some of your wine? Will happily pick some up. Thanks!!
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

jfv wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:35 am
jfv wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:03 am

Thanks for the response. I'll look for them out here.

I do usually make a trip or two out to the SF Bay area each year and might ask you again then.
Hey Ryan, I'll actually be out there next week for work.. though I won't be renting a car since the company I am visiting is in South San Francisco (i.e., close to the airport), and I'm limited on time anyway, so visiting your winery is likely not in the cards. That being said, what'd be a good store to visit around there to purchase some of your wine? Will happily pick some up. Thanks!!
Grab a meal at Cafe' Figaro in Burlingame. They have some Copain on the list right now. Very unassuming, but excellent Italian spot in Burlingame. Also, https://www.bacchusws.com/ in Millbrae. If you can sneak up to the Dogpatch in the southend of SF, Besharam has some of my stuff on the list, and it is the most insane vegetarian Indian food you will ever have. Vino Volo in the SFO international terminal usually has some Copain. If you make it in to the city proper hit Foreign Cinema, K&L Wines, Wine House, Howell's Wine bar, High Treason, Norcina, Lazy Bear. SF wine lists are pretty dynamic so things go on and off list rapidly so not sure if everything listed for sure has Copain, but great spots to visit.
New Shit:
https://lamekites.bandcamp.com/album/less-one
Discogs:
https://www.discogs.com/seller/ryanzepaltas/profile

RyanZ wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:57 am
jfv wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:35 am
Grab a meal at Cafe' Figaro in Burlingame. They have some Copain on the list right now. Very unassuming, but excellent Italian spot in Burlingame. Also, https://www.bacchusws.com/ in Millbrae. If you can sneak up to the Dogpatch in the southend of SF, Besharam has some of my stuff on the list, and it is the most insane vegetarian Indian food you will ever have. Vino Volo in the SFO international terminal usually has some Copain. If you make it in to the city proper hit Foreign Cinema, K&L Wines, Wine House, Howell's Wine bar, High Treason, Norcina, Lazy Bear. SF wine lists are pretty dynamic so things go on and off list rapidly so not sure if everything listed for sure has Copain, but great spots to visit.
Thanks for the advice! Will report back.

Also, "most insane vegetarian Indian food" is right up my alley.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)