The Zone of Interest

Crap (No votes)
Not Crap
Total votes: 18 (100%)
Total votes: 18

Re: The Zone of Interest

andyman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:25 am I found the economic aspect compelling though - his wife is obsessed with the perfect home, luxuries, being pampered, and their prosperity is built on the bloodshed of an oppressed class. They literally compost their garden with human ashes.
I feel as though the Nazi's bureaucracy around the death machine has been seen/written about before (the mundane logistical planning as though it were any other industrial problem, the banality of evil), however the peculiar focus on how Höss is just "going to the office" to provide a certain quality of life for his family, and the couple's blocking out of the sounds next door, have pretty grim parallels around political consciousness in the modern global capitalist era.
The banality of evil.

I thought it was a great movie.

Wow. So much to chew on with this movie, but the moment sitting with me is Hoss telling his wife all he could think about at the party were the logistics of gassing everyone there, and she quickly changing the subject. The capacity of horror they (we) willingly accept, deem necessary even, vs. where they draw the line.

Shooting most of it in the daylight without any history book graininess drives the point home even more, and we need it more than ever. NC wf 0.
Music

penningtron wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:01 am Wow. So much to chew on with this movie, but the moment sitting with me is Hoss telling his wife all he could think about at the party were the logistics of gassing everyone there, and she quickly changing the subject. The capacity of horror they (we) willingly accept, deem necessary even, vs. where they draw the line.
100% the scene that continues to fuck with my brain as well. That an him puking right after that.