Audiobooks

I have six Audible credits and I have no idea what to listen to. I’m not a big audiobook person, and I tend to only listen to memoir or autobiography (recently enjoyed ones from Gary Gulman and Geddy Lee). My main gripe with audiobooks is usually the reader. I burn out on the sound of a person’s voice.

Anyway, what should I spend these six credits on?

Re: Audiobooks

RJ Smith's Chuck Berry book is fuuuuuuuucked up (the bubble gum part for instance, what the fuck) and very good.

Dilla Time by Dan Charnas is great. It's about J Dilla.

The War by Don Stradley is a classic book about boxing that is super gripping and rad. It's about the Hearns/Hagler fight, but as with many things, it's about so much more.

The Verge by Patrick Wyman was fascinating.

High Weirdness by Erik Davis was wild as hell.

We Had A Little Real Estate Problem by Kliph Nesteroff was really fantastic. It's about indigenous comedians in the America.

Nothin' But A Good Time is a great oral history on hair metal.

I have approximately 200 more recommendations! I listen while I ride my bike.

Dave N. wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:32 pmMy main gripe with audiobooks is usually the reader.
I think the author should have to read it if they are still alive and able. That way they get to hear how clunky some of their sentences are just like the listener does.

Oh these two are really fun:

The Miles Davis ‘as told to’ biography and the John Cooper Clarke autobiography.

The Miles Davis one is well read by an actor that totally pulls it off, but of course the text is amazing.

The John Cooper Clarke one is read by the author himself and he’s magnetic through out the whole thing.

Then, Underground by Haruki Murakami is something else entirely. The fucking GRAVITY. I’m not a Murakami guy so much but holy hell that book