Re: Massively Overrated Stuff

Haven't seen the show, but . . .
losthighway wrote:Every time someone has made something with elevated, witty repartee type dialogue that's too wordy to be natural it's aged horribly.
One of the first pieces of wisdom that should be imparted to anyone writing a screenplay or teleplay, is that all dialog takes up a lot more space when uttered in the context of a movie or show than it does on the page. Many people have mentioned this. It keeps getting mentioned for a reason. It's why it's easier to pull off certain passages within a book than it would be in dramatic, audio-visual form. I think you can have heady conversations in anything, but it takes skilled actors (and directing) to pull off dialog that's more involved. Like, the monolog by Ingrid Thulin in Winter Light--give that to any old actor and good luck getting comparable results. I feel nervous just thinking about it.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

Re: Massively Overrated Stuff

losthighway wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:11 am
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:47 pm
Krev wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 pm Succession. The dialogue kills it.
History will be with you on this one.
I agree and I actually enjoyed it. Every time someone has made something with elevated, witty repartee type dialogue that's too wordy to be natural it's aged horribly. The 90's are littered with examples: Clerks, Vanilla Sky, Dawson's Creek.
There would be no Succession without Gilmore Girls.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.