EVs

Crap
Total votes: 1 (11%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 8 (89%)
Total votes: 9

Re: EVs (electric cars)

zorg wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:30 pm
jfv wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:56 pm To bring this back somewhat to the original topic, I'd love at some point to live in a place where I can either walk or hop in a low-speed electric golf cart when I'm lazy to get to everything I need on a daily basis. The thought of living in The Villages in Florida is repulsive for other reasons, but it does have that going for it.
Also appropriate for the "Ghosts" thread.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

I'd personally take the graveyard over The Villages or a Margaritaville-esque development, but there seem to be plenty of takers. It's too bad that emigrating to Amsterdam is so hard for Americans.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

jfv wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:56 pm
penningtron wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:24 pm I love biking but in the US bike commuting is basically like going to war. Critical Mass-types are out of their goddamn minds if they think the average person will subject themselves to being yelled at, spat on, doored and sometimes even killed. And this is in cities with bike lanes, shorter distances, and at least some established 'bike etiquette', the infrastructure and culture is basically non-existent in most suburbs or rural areas.
This is 100% true.

Living in the exurbs (my own fault/decision) and having shitty balance, it's been years since I've been on a bike.

Hoping in the future that cities and villages consider more low-speed city centers that are bike- and pedestrian-friendly.

To bring this back somewhat to the original topic, I'd love at some point to live in a place where I can either walk or hop in a low-speed electric golf cart when I'm lazy to get to everything I need on a daily basis. The thought of living in The Villages in Florida is repulsive for other reasons, but it does have that going for it.
There's a middle ground https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborh ... ic_Vehicle , but you have to live somewhere with a useful network of 35 mph limited streets. Where we live, this could absolutely be useful for the grocery store or getting to the commuter train station (I tend to do both by bicycle, but I can see the appeal).
Formerly LouisSandwich and LotharSandwich, but I can never recover passwords somehow.

jfv wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:05 pm
zorg wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:30 pm
jfv wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:56 pm To bring this back somewhat to the original topic, I'd love at some point to live in a place where I can either walk or hop in a low-speed electric golf cart when I'm lazy to get to everything I need on a daily basis. The thought of living in The Villages in Florida is repulsive for other reasons, but it does have that going for it.
Also appropriate for the "Ghosts" thread.
I meant to inform you that this was really fucking funny to me.

penningtron wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:24 pm I love biking but in the US bike commuting is basically like going to war. Critical Mass-types are out of their goddamn minds if they think the average person will subject themselves to being yelled at, spat on, doored and sometimes even killed. And this is in cities with bike lanes, shorter distances, and at least some established 'bike etiquette', the infrastructure and culture is basically non-existent in most suburbs or rural areas.
Many cyclists are fucking assholes, critical mass types being the most poorly behaved of all, worse than drivers of cars WRT following the law, from what I see.

I'm not a "cyclist," but I ride a bike almost daily in Los Angeles and I have a really easy time with it. I also use my hands and arms a LOT to signal literally everything I'm gonna do. Many cyclists don't ( I see them) and they think everyone is looking a out for them. They aren't. If you're on a bike you gotta speak up! I've encountered nothing but courtesy. Getting doored, yeah, it's a real concern. But spat on, yelled at, has not happened to me in five years of biking around Los Angeles.

[Knocks on wood]
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

Nate Dort wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:13 pm
twelvepoint wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:12 pm The allegedly premium stereo blows compared to the VW it replaced, so that’s a bummer.
Is it the JBL system?

I drove a 2014 Volt for many years, and drive a Audi A3 e-tron PHEV now. My wife has a Kia Sorento PHEV that she loves, and probably 90% of her miles are EV-only miles, so it works great for us. I also work at a domestic US battery company and design the battery management system (basically, the electronics that monitor and control the battery), so I'm probably biased. That being said, some automakers are doing it better than others, and the industry has changed enormously even in just the past 2 years or so.

The Inflation Reduction Act implemented some pretty strict mandates about sourcing battery materials in the US in order to claim tax credits, so there's a mad scramble to build battery factories here now. Some may view it as a kneejerk protectionist reaction to all of the cheap batteries coming out of China and South Korea, and that's probably partly true. However, there's a lot of money getting pumped into R&D, especially for Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) cells, as those three elements are readily available in the US and fairly easily acquired. Other chemistries rely heavily on Nickel and Cobalt, that latter only really being available in the Congo, which comes with its own set of problems (slavery, black markets, unsafe labor conditions, etc.).

Speaking of batteries, what do people think about used EVs ? I realize that's not an option everywhere, but here in California we have enough people with upgrade fever (for all consumer goods, but cars in particular) that older EVs with less battery capacity can seem like reasonable deals, especially lease-return models. I just don't know how to judge whether a battery is in good shape or how you'd have that evaluated as one might anything else on a used car.
Formerly LouisSandwich and LotharSandwich, but I can never recover passwords somehow.

It's not miles (or the number of charge cycles) that kill EV batteries, but calendar age. The batteries really don't like getting old, whether you use them or not. Basically, buy the newest EV you can.

There's not a good way to evaluate battery health without getting into some intensive tests, and dealers are generally loathe to do them. I've had terrible experiences with Audi dealers when it comes to evaluating my battery health, because I've been having significantly reduced range for almost 2 years, and they insist that it's normal.

Early Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) were plagued with reduced range, but that's primarily because they didn't do appropriate thermal management of the battery. Temperature extremes will kill a battery in no time, and most manufacturers have learned that by now. I wouldn't expect any vehicle built within the past 4 or 5 years to have temperature-related early deaths, or at least I haven't heard of any.

enframed wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:04 pm
Many cyclists are fucking assholes, critical mass types being the most poorly behaved of all, worse than drivers of cars WRT following the law, from what I see.

I'm not a "cyclist," but I ride a bike almost daily in Los Angeles and I have a really easy time with it. I also use my hands and arms a LOT to signal literally everything I'm gonna do. Many cyclists don't ( I see them) and they think everyone is looking a out for them. They aren't. If you're on a bike you gotta speak up! I've encountered nothing but courtesy. Getting doored, yeah, it's a real concern. But spat on, yelled at, has not happened to me in five years of biking around Los Angeles.

[Knocks on wood]
I'm in san diego and it's the same. There's so many shitty drivers here and there's so many equally shitting cyclists - I find them more annoying, I think because you can see the attitude on their faces/body language. As another cyclist I feel misrepresented

My spouse's uncle was president of Volvo bus, and had access to as much research on types of engines, pollution, 'the grid', efficiency etc. as you can imagine. He was obviously pro bus and public transportation as the most efficient, and was pretty anti EV in the current state (This was 5 years ago mind you), for the production/grid/disposal reasons. He was very much of the mind Hydrogen engines that were being worked on was the great white hope , and was a real option in the next 10 years.

Seems like Yamaha and a variety of other japanese brands might be getting close to the finish line, exciting stuff.