Total votes: 5 (22%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 18 (78%)
Total votes: 23

Re: City: London

sparky wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:30 pm
speedie wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:39 am
eephus wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:50 pm

Right now we're staying in Shoreditch/Spitalfields; let me know if any other notions among the hive mind.
If you're staying in Shoreditch, get thee to Brick Lane and eat all the curry!
FMs Speedie and TM, don’t do this! Brick Lane’s restaurants are universally terrible. Very nearby is the Lahore Kebab House which is way better and cheap as heck. Or, if you fancy something a little less basic, Tayyabs on Fieldgate st is an institution
I agree -Brick Lane's curry houses are over-rated. Tooting High Road is my favourite place to go for Indian food.
I hate music, it's got too many notes.

We had a great trip.

Our place in Shoreditch was roomy, cheap, and located perfectly. It also sucked, but not enough to bother somehow canceling/rebooking. Not there much.

Food:
Dishoom Shoreditch (great, if not necessarily better than a couple places on Devon Ave in Chicago)
Rochelle Canteen (great)
St John Bread and Wine (superb, one of my fave restaurants anywhere)
St John (great but I didn't like it quite as much as Bread and Wine)
Smokestak (improbably good barbecue but don't get the wings, they're done wrong)
Kiln (spectacular Thai, ate there twice, long waits both times, totally worth it)
Borough Market (great)
Etc. etc.

We had tea at the Goring which was pretty expensive but fine to do once.

Lots of markets and window shopping and some actual shopping. Lots of museums including both Tates--an art historian friend said Tate Modern might be the puffed-up one but Tate Britain is better...he was right, good as the Modern was (great Yoko exhibit). Really liked the Britain's Sargent exhibit (weirdly run down in the Guardian) and the JMW Turner rooms--there's a Rothko in the middle of some "unfinished" works there, and the placement is a stroke of genius (also Rothko's idea evidently).

Saw Sunn at Barbican, great. Hit some of the big tourist spots but mostly just to see them from the outside.

Walked massively, mostly central London and environs. Parks, 'hoods, paths. There's so much we didn't do, will have to get back sometime.

eephus wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:00 pm We had a great trip.

Our place in Shoreditch was roomy, cheap, and located perfectly. It also sucked, but not enough to bother somehow canceling/rebooking. Not there much.

Food:
Dishoom Shoreditch (great, if not necessarily better than a couple places on Devon Ave in Chicago)
Rochelle Canteen (great)
St John Bread and Wine (superb, one of my fave restaurants anywhere)
St John (great but I didn't like it quite as much as Bread and Wine)
Smokestak (improbably good barbecue but don't get the wings, they're done wrong)
Kiln (spectacular Thai, ate there twice, long waits both times, totally worth it)
Borough Market (great)
Etc. etc.

We had tea at the Goring which was pretty expensive but fine to do once.

Lots of markets and window shopping and some actual shopping. Lots of museums including both Tates--an art historian friend said Tate Modern might be the puffed-up one but Tate Britain is better...he was right, good as the Modern was (great Yoko exhibit). Really liked the Britain's Sargent exhibit (weirdly run down in the Guardian) and the JMW Turner rooms--there's a Rothko in the middle of some "unfinished" works there, and the placement is a stroke of genius (also Rothko's idea evidently).

Saw Sunn at Barbican, great. Hit some of the big tourist spots but mostly just to see them from the outside.

Walked massively, mostly central London and environs. Parks, 'hoods, paths. There's so much we didn't do, will have to get back sometime.
Making me want to go to London!
"lol, listen to op 'music' and you'll understand"....

https://sebastiansequoiah-grayson.bandcamp.com/
https://oblier.bandcamp.com/releases
https://youtube.com/user/sebbityseb

Geoff Tate approves!

As for me, I’d rather explore smaller town Britain. Big cities give me a headache and a wallet-ache. Crap for being a big expensive city. Eat a hot turd, London. Same goes for NYC, Paris, Beijing, Tokyo, Mumbai, Moscow, Mexico City, and so on.

I’m over large concentrations of humans. We’re nothing but chancres, goiters, lesions, polyps, cysts, and cancers on the skin of an otherwise gorgeous planet. Cities are festering wounds.

Im sure I’ll feel different when I wake up tomorrow, wishing I was minding the gap and eating crisps.

Dave N. wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:21 am Geoff Tate approves!

As for me, I’d rather explore smaller town Britain. Big cities give me a headache and a wallet-ache. Crap for being a big expensive city. Eat a hot turd, London. Same goes for NYC, Paris, Beijing, Tokyo, Mumbai, Moscow, Mexico City, and so on.

I’m over large concentrations of humans. We’re nothing but chancres, goiters, lesions, polyps, cysts, and cancers on the skin of an otherwise gorgeous planet. Cities are festering wounds.

Im sure I’ll feel different when I wake up tomorrow, wishing I was minding the gap and eating crisps.
Big cities are the most efficient and sustainable modes of human habitation. It feels counterintuitive but having a lot of people all close together is much better for the planet than urban sprawl and small cities.

The trick to “good” metropolises is having it broken down into neighbourhoods with their own character. London and New York do this really well. I live walking distance to Oxford Street - 45 mins - which is very central but my borough is a village with its own quirks and character.

When I think of “bad” cities they’re sprawling and car dominated. I have zero need to own a car. I can walk for take the Tube anywhere and if we need we can hire a street car from down the street…

Horses for courses but give me a big city any day.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Gramsci wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:26 pm
Dave N. wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:21 am Geoff Tate approves!

Big cities are the most efficient and sustainable modes of human habitation. It feels counterintuitive but having a lot of people all close together is much better for the planet than urban sprawl and small cities.

The trick to “good” metropolises is having it broken down into neighbourhoods with their own character. London and New York do this really well. I live walking distance to Oxford Street - 45 mins - which is very central but my borough is a village with its own quirks and character.

When I think of “bad” cities they’re sprawling and car dominated. I have zero need to own a car. I can walk for take the Tube anywhere and if we need we can hire a street car from down the street…

Horses for courses but give me a big city any day.
I’m not really that down on cities. That was just me in a mood after spending most of the day in traffic. I’ve never been outside of Heathrow, but I’m sure it’s lovely.

The other night I was at a trivia night benefit for a debate club. One of the categories was 'Over/Under', where they gave you a question and you had to say if the # was more or less. One of them was:

"The tube in London is 100 miles long."

I told my team I thought it was more, because "London's pretty big."
We got it right, and ended up winning the whole game.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

Dave N. wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:16 am I’m not really that down on cities. That was just me in a mood after spending most of the day in traffic. I’ve never been outside of Heathrow, but I’m sure it’s lovely.
Totally makes sense. Having to commute by car is a killer. I spend a bit of time in Atlanta and why people that live near a MARTA station drive to work in the CBD is baffling.

The classic response from Atlanta friends would be “but have you been on the train!?”

“Yes… it’s fine. Completely normal public transportation.
Have you?”

“Never”
😂
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.