Re: What are you listening to right now?

Got this CD, Jimi Hendrix's Blues, when it came out. This was about thirty years ago. Little did I know then how well a lot of it would hold up years later:

Also got Voodoo Soup when it was released. It's more of a mixed bag than Blues, maybe, but has a spate of some of the best Hendrix songs that weren't on the official three LPs he did with the Experience.

Namely, we're talking about: "Pali Gap," "Freedom," "Ezy Rider," and "Room Full of Mirrors."

"Pali Gap," is probably the best Hendrix song of all time:

He was a great vocalist, but this one, like the above cover of "Born Under a Bad Sign," doesn't feature any singing. I recommend soaking it up on a loud stereo some afternoon, from a better source than YouTube.

As a guitarist of sorts, I've never been that impressed with Hendrix worship among other musicians, to the extent that they aspired to emulate or conjure his sound, or his "stage energy." There's just something in there that you won't be able to tap into.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

Re: What are you listening to right now?

I am always going to have a soft spot for the Fiery Furnaces. I think they’re overdue for a wider re-evaluation for what they were, though being a Pitchfork band from that era didn’t hurt business anyways. I like how long and messy their albums are and I never realized how much they shred until I saw some of their live videos on youtube.

Just posting this one because I like the lyrics so much:

And this one, because I also like the lyrics: