Re: Requiescat FM Steve

El Protoolio wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:32 am FM Dave Grohl dedicated "My Hero" to FM steve the other night. This might seem cheesy and corny and who knows what FM steve would have thought but I think it's sweet and classy and sincere.
I honestly choked up a little, yet again. They rekindled their friendship in recent years. And I think the more mature Steve valued sincerity and being true to one's self (and FMDG is, fan or not) over being in a "cool" band. He was also friendly with the Eve 6 dude.
Music

penningtron wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:26 am
El Protoolio wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:32 am FM Dave Grohl dedicated "My Hero" to FM steve the other night. This might seem cheesy and corny and who knows what FM steve would have thought but I think it's sweet and classy and sincere.
I honestly choked up a little, yet again. They rekindled their friendship in recent years. And I think the more mature Steve valued sincerity and being true to one's self (and FMDG is, fan or not) over being in a "cool" band. He was also friendly with the Eve 6 dude.
Slightly related story:

My now-wife and I were driving on Belmont several years back past EA and noticed several huge equipment trucks outside the studio. We both assumed it must be some huge band, but my guess was some Jack White project. My wife was like "no way, that's obviously Foo Fighters, I'm gonna text Sowley and confirm". She texts Sowley and gets a response back in moments along the lines of "who told you?" and she was pretty proud to say that she figured it out on her own and I got it wrong. Sowley only asked that we not tell anyone as they didn't want people hanging around outside as happened when Dave, Krist, and Pat were at the studio for the In Utero remix and folks found out.

She still rubs it in my face that she figured out it was the Foo Fighters (for that Sonic Highways thing) and I thought it was Jack freakin' White.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

penningtron wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:53 am I think Steve said that door thing was BS in another interview. That said: Molina's almost improvisational approach is captured in the Josephine documentary, and Steve and the studio was clearly equipped for the job.
JM clearly liked to bullshit people in interviews. His explanation about the "listen...listen..." part also doesn't line up, because that's how the "Farewell Transmission" demo ends (included in the anniversary release).
snwv | streak.club | weekly beats | twitch

penningtron wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:39 amBut in appreciation for all the work Marsup had done in those years, Steve presented him with an electrified Xylophone (featuring his old Travis Bean pickups) signed by CocoRosie!
That's amazing

El Protoolio wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:32 am FM Dave Grohl dedicated "My Hero" to FM steve the other night. This might seem cheesy and corny and who knows what FM steve would have thought but I think it's sweet and classy and sincere. I guess he has played this and dedicated it to others in the past but who cares? This time it was for FM steve.

Thanks, I've been waiting for FM DG to release a statement.
fka Boombats, Lonesome Bulldog, and sambpot but NOT Cocend

No direct personal connection to Mr Albini or this forum (I'm only here for the Worst Band Shirts thread) but everything I knew and am now learning about him makes it clear that he was a truly great man, to be admired and emulated, and a real punk, in the absolute best sense of that word, right to the end. Turning down royalties? That is KINGLY behavior - genuine royalty.

I trust he's already working the board for the choir invisible, giving the angels a warm and punchy sound.
The mower stalled, twice; kneeling, I found
A hedgehog jammed up against the blades,
Killed. It had been in the long grass.

I had seen it before, and even fed it, once.
Now I had mauled its unobtrusive world
Unmendably. Burial was no help:

Next morning I got up and it did not.
The first day after a death, the new absence
Is always the same; we should be careful

Of each other, we should be kind
While there is still time.

penningtron wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:39 am
Gramsci wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:34 am Is Marsupialized on the new forum?
No. I think he's a bit embarrassed about those years, claiming he was "hopped up on pills".
Tell him to come on back anyway.
There were several - fucking several times I posted on the old forum a minimum of ten beers deep, sometimes a fifth of whiskey deep. I am to this day mega embarrassed over the shit I used to post.
But the beauty of this community is we let old shit slide. You didn't hurt anybody? Cool, it's forgotten. Come on back. There's still a place here for him. Why wouldn't there be?
🎸 krakoa.bandcamp.com
📚 barnesandnoble.com/s/Charlie%20Pauken
🥪 sandwichbully.blogspot.com

Marsupialized was equal parts abrasive, intimidating, and fucking hilarious.

When I think back to that era of the PRF, two of the first things that spring to mind involved Marsup:

1) A thread titled (I'm paraphrasing), 'So, I punched a yuppie on my way to work today.'

2) A put-down along the lines of, "I bet if I gave you a gold bar that sucked dicks on command, you'd complain that it had the wrong sort of mustache."

I hope he's doing well.

penningtron wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:53 am I think Steve said that door thing was BS in another interview. That said: Molina's almost improvisational approach is captured in the Josephine documentary, and Steve and the studio was clearly equipped for the job.

I'll go ahead and tell the Lido Shuffle story for those not around at that time. In 2009 for the first PRFBBQ, I put together a live karaoke band accidentally named The Hype!, with little clue of how it would come together or be received. It ended up being a hit, talked about for weeks after. The next summer BBQ came around and of course we were gonna do it again, and Steve at one point on here posted "I'm doing Lido Shuffle!" He had expressed his liking of that song around that time due to the gambling lyrics. Haha, fun idea I thought, but it didn't seem serious. A few weeks before the BBQ he posted again: "you better make room for Lido Shuffle!" Hmmm, ok, so we learned the song just in case. Most people doing karaoke covers would email me, we would verify we were both learning the same version of the song and go over other details, so this request was loose to say the least.

That week comes along. There's a WSOP event in Vegas that Steve ends up doing pretty well at, extending his stay thru the week. "Things are going great but I might not make it back for Lido". Well, damn. We played our set Friday night: 2 hours of sweaty madness and it was great, but no Lido. We all show up throughout the next day, pretty exhausted, but still having a blast hanging out. There are rumblings throughout the day that Steve won a decent amount of money and is heading back that night. Cool he gets to make some of the BBQ, I thought, but the Lido window had passed in my mind. A few of my bandmates were like "we can still do it!" but I didn't take it too seriously. I watched some great sets by Bottomless Pit and Police Teeth, then kinda petered out into one of the backrooms to chill for a bit. Soon over the PA I hear my name, along with a dozen others calling for me to get to the stage NOW. "Steve is looking for you!" He had just gotten out of the cab from the airport and literally the first thing he was asking about was Lido Shuffle. So we talk about it briefly, I see Police Teeth is still breaking down their gear so I quickly ask them if we can borrow it instead. And then it actually fuckin' happened..

This is the only clip that still exists, unfortunately. That's ok: he wasn't particularly well-rehearsed, and the band was exhausted and playing on other peoples' gear. But it was amazing and the room went OFF. The best line gets cut off during that clip: when the keyboard/guitar harmony happens, Steve points to Liz and says "it's like there's two of her!" I think we stuck around and played another song or two with other audience members singing, "Surrender" I think, and if you've ever seen the picture of a pile of sweaty dudes being held up by FM kerble making the gun-in-mouth gesture, that's where it came from.

But anyway.. Steve only did this because he loved the DIY, industrious spirit of this place. Making shit happen outside even the more established Chicago underground channels and whatnot, simply because it was a cool thing to make happen. Beyond being in great bands and recording great records, I think that will ultimately be his legacy: getting involved, learning how to do things to a high standard, supporting the things around you, passing your knowledge on to someone still learning... just DOING THE THANGS for their own sake. Very few people, if anyone, embodied and manifested that attitude more, or better.

Oh. And there was a pretty good message exchange between him, Marsupialized, and me about the horniness of that BBQ: who was fuckin' who in what corner, but I'm keeping that one to myself.
I had forgotten all about recording that little clip 14 years ago. My wife uploaded it to her youtube channel and it never got many views and then I just forgot it. She dug it up the other day and I remembered it all. I wish to hell the quality was better and I'm sorry it cut out when it did. I was very caught up in the moment and it surprises me that I even thought to start recording the moment, as I never do stuff like that. But the energy that was in that space at that time was amazing. I've never experienced anything like it before or since. I loved Steve, like so many others here did. Getting to make a record with him after that bbq is a memory I'll cherish forever.

Chomskyite wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:03 pm Marsupialized was equal parts abrasive, intimidating, and fucking hilarious.

When I think back to that era of the PRF, two of the first things that spring to mind involved Marsup:

1) A thread titled (I'm paraphrasing), 'So, I punched a yuppie on my way to work today.'

2) A put-down along the lines of, "I bet if I gave you a gold bar that sucked dicks on command, you'd complain that it had the wrong sort of mustache."

I hope he's doing well.
Heather and I were absolutely pleasantly surprised when we met him IRL at the BBQ (or maybe Peppers?). Really chill guy, smart, funny, fun as hell to talk to. I'm sure I was a dick on the internet back in the 05-15 decade since most of my posting was done pretty drunk if it was done after about 4pm. Sup rules, wish he'd come back. Speaking of folks I haven't heard form in a while, where is Fez? Still around here?

I watched the interview with Steve talking about Led Zeppelin today. Made me extremely sad and happy at the same time.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html