Bob Dylan

Crap
Total votes: 15 (35%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 28 (65%)
Total votes: 43

Artist: Bob Dylan Bob Dylan

When I heard he got the Nobel prize in literature, I thought it completely appropriate. I'm not the biggest fan of his, but his lyrics, set to his muse, sung by him are what I think of when people say that written words aspire to music. The sound and inflection of performance infuses into the words and they become larger and whatever they mean, they mean it more.I like Bob Dylan getting the Nobel more than I like Bob Dylan's music, that's how good I think it is.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.

Seby wrote:I have tried with Dylan. I really have. People have given my album after album, song after song. I just don't get it. I shall keep trying, but I do not like my chances.Me too. Since I'm old, I've tried since the 80's and gave up sometime in the late 90's which admittedly is a long time ago but I *know* the passage of time won't make a difference.Anyway, too lyric/vocal/"song"-oriented for my tastes, no hot music. I can't like that, same with country-music with some exceptions. The little vocal-oriented music I dig (think 60's/70's soul and R&b as well as hip-hop for the lyrics thing) still has cool music, I have not heard any cool music from Dylan, not in a single song. Crap.

Lots of classic tunes and records. Not gonna parrot what others on here and elsewhere have said.Funny coincidence that he won the Nobel as I've recently listened to Highway 61 Revisited a bit for the first time in awhile, and I finally saw Inside Llewelyn Davis (as it is set in the cultural ferment which produced him as an artist) and also watched The Last Waltz and a few Bob Dylan/The Band docs on Amazon and YouTube recently.Highway 61 will always be my favorite record of his, and indeed one my all-time favorite records, both on account of the songs themselves and the fact that it was my introduction to Mike Bloomfield when I was a lad.Not crap.

I've seen him twice, in a small arena in 2003, and at the Austin City Limits Fest in 2007. I've heard that his live shows can be hit-or-miss, but both shows I thought were pretty good. It helps if you go in knowing what to expect. I think I prefer the '03 show, he and his band did a great version of 'All Along the Watchtower' in the encore. Not crap. Some of the songs on The Basement Tapes amuse me. "Well I looked at my watchI looked at my wristI punched myself in the face with my fistI took my potatoesDown to be mashedAnd I made it on down to that million dollar bash!"

Several years ago, I wrote:I've never had much use for Dylan's music and horrible cawing nasal voice and baby-boomer-icon status, but watching [No Direction Home, Martin Scorsese's 2005 documentary] just now, two monents in particular really struck me:1. "Ballad of a Thin Man," UK 1966: with an angry folk-purist audience shouting things like "Turn it off! Go back to Vietnam [?!]!", Dylan and band bounce back with a furious and inspired performance, horrible cawing nasal voice in full effect;2. Press conference, San Francisco, 1965: a frighteningly bizarre scene w/clearly pathologically obsessed fans and dronelike reporters behaving as though Dylan were Jesus Christ in person and/or a zoo animal; Dylan's poise in the midst of this is extraordinary.Not crap. I like his recordings and performances from1965-66 a lot; the rest is not really my cup of tea, for the most part, though I keep meaning to give Blood on the Tracks a close listen. In the early '90s I happened to meet the woman who turned Bob on to Woody Guthrie, a formidable person named Flo Castner whom Dylan described in his memoir as a charismatic beatnik-esque figure in Minneapolis's budding folk scene in the late 1950s. She was impressively fierce when I knew her a bit through my job in 1992-93, and I expect she still is. I wonder what she thinks of Bobby's Nobel Prize.