Bob Dylan

Crap
Total votes: 15 (35%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 28 (65%)
Total votes: 43

Artist: Bob Dylan Bob Dylan

Recently, I thought I'd dig out the Manchester '66 show for another spin, and that electric set always sounds so fresh and pissed off whenever I listen to it. It never gets boring.On the whole, I'm not a big fan of Dylan, but I do love the stuff he did with The Band. I simply adore the basement tapes stuff (yep, I've got the 'Tree With Roots' bootleg and there's so many pure gems on there that weren't fiddled with for the official set) and the recording of the infamous Manchester 1966 show (that electric set is really angry stuff and rocks like a fiend!). I've even tracked down the 'Genuine Live 1966' which has about 8CDs worth of stoned acoustic rot and astounding electric greatness. The London show has a seriously sluggish "Like A Rolling Stone" which serves as a massive 'fuck you' to the haters - it drags on for 10 minutes, but in a good way. Robbie Robertson never played guitar that barbed or angry ever since.I might need to attempt another trek through 'Highway 61 Revisited' and 'Blonde On Blonde'.

So this is happeningBob Dylan has announced The Basement Tapes Complete: The Bootleg Series Vol. 11, a forthcoming six-disc set that compiles œevery salvageable recording from his famous 1967 sessions with the Band. As the story goes, Dylan and the Band holed up in upstate New York to record a number of original songs, traditional numbers, and covers. After floating around in bootleg form, a selection of those recordings were eventually released as 1975's The Basement Tapes. But now, the Band's Garth Hudson and music archivist Jan Haust have cleaned up the original recordings and arranged them chronologically, according to Hudson's numbering system. A 38-song selection will also be issued as The Basement Tapes Raw. You can check out both tracklists below. It's out November 4, via Legacy Recordings.
zom-zom wrote:Why do drummers insist on calling the little stools they sit on "thrones"? Kings of nothing.

eephour wrote:So this is happeningBob Dylan has announced The Basement Tapes Complete: The Bootleg Series Vol. 11, a forthcoming six-disc set that compiles œevery salvageable recording from his famous 1967 sessions with the Band. As the story goes, Dylan and the Band holed up in upstate New York to record a number of original songs, traditional numbers, and covers. After floating around in bootleg form, a selection of those recordings were eventually released as 1975's The Basement Tapes. But now, the Band's Garth Hudson and music archivist Jan Haust have cleaned up the original recordings and arranged them chronologically, according to Hudson's numbering system. A 38-song selection will also be issued as The Basement Tapes Raw. You can check out both tracklists below. It's out November 4, via Legacy Recordings. HOLY SHIT
Pure L wrote:I get shocked whenever I use my table saw while barefooted.

I Made Out With You Before You Were Cool
Don't Sit On The Pickets

Bob Dylan has announced The Basement Tapes Complete: The Bootleg Series Vol. 11, a forthcoming six-disc set that compiles œevery salvageable recording from his famous 1967 sessions with the Band. As the story goes, Dylan and the Band holed up in upstate New York to record a number of original songs, traditional numbers, and covers. After floating around in bootleg form, a selection of those recordings were eventually released as 1975's The Basement Tapes. But now, the Band's Garth Hudson and music archivist Jan Haust have cleaned up the original recordings and arranged them chronologically, according to Hudson's numbering system. A 38-song selection will also be issued as The Basement Tapes Raw. You can check out both tracklists below. It's out November 4, via Legacy Recordings. So is this basically a nicer-sounding version of A Tree With Roots?Right on.
I make music/I also make pretty pictures

I ended up on Conservapedia (blech) while Googling some sociology terms, and there was a Bob Dylan link on the front page. From the Dylan page:In 1979, Bob Dylan surprised many by announcing he had accepted Jesus Christ as his personal savior...It was not until 1979, however, that Dylan made his conversion official by releasing an album of Gospel music, Slow Train Coming. "Gotta Serve Somebody" became a hit single, and Dylan embarked on a tour in which many of his older, secular fans booed him while he attracted a new generation of Christian fans. His next two albums, Saved (1980) and Shot of Love (1981) were also Gospel albums. "Dylan got less air play after his highly publicized conversion. People wrote him off as a 'born-again' fanatic." [3]There followed a two-year period of no new releases while rumors floated that Dylan had returned to the Jewish faith of his upbringing.He resurfaced with a new album in 1984, Infidels. The secular/liberal music press accused the lyrics on Infidels of being "cranky" and right-wing: "Neighborhood Bully" defended Israel's foreign policy vis-a-vis its Arab neighbors, "Man of Peace" had the refrain "Sometimes Satan comes as a man of peace", "Union Sundown" supported buying American goods and decried imports from the third world, and the hit single "Sweetheart Like You" included the line "a woman like you should be at home, that's where you belong". The opening track of Infidels, "Jokerman" is constructed almost entirely of Biblical allusions. These four albums stand as an interesting period in Bob Dylan's career of Christian lyrics. However, he has not released an album only of explicitly Christian songs. Unless you count the Xmas album
www.myspace.com/pissedplanet
www.myspace.com/hookerdraggerlives