Reel to Reel Storage Practices

After hearing Steve give a couple of interviews when he talks about the longevity of reel to reel tape vs. digital media, I was curious to know what preservation steps you guys take to protect your masters at electrical.

I am mainly curious because I work in an archives and we are starting to recieve a lot of old reel to reel tapes and I have no idea what steps to take to ensure their preservation. We recently got about 30 old 1/4" reels of Library of Congress field recordings of folksongs in South Georgia that I would really hate to lose because I didn't store them properly. Any help would be appreciated.

field recordings of south georgia should be cherished no doubt..

i would think the standard climate control would suffice..
excess heat/humidity that sort of thing.

obviously no em radiation..right?

maybe watch for print threw?

you'll probably want to make copies
you'll probably want to do this on reel to reel and other formats..

just a guess..

They are kept in a climate/humidity controlled environment. About 64 temp 42% humidity.

They are stored in hollinger boxes and never see the light of day.

They are backed up digitally as .wav files and I think I'll look in to copying them onto some new reels. (They are 30+ years old.)

One more question though.

Do I ever need to exercise the tapes to prevent the magnetic material from falling off the tape? If so, how often should I do this?

Just think about the way the tape sits on the reel.

Horizontally, over time the weight of the tape would deform the flat pack and remove any of the benefits of the library-wind / flat-pack / tails-out archival practices.

Vertically stored, the pack stays intact.

This is a well known archival practice. I'm sure you can read about it in some AES or NARAS or LoC document somewhere.

b