Let's Talk Baseball

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:Christopher J. McGarvey wrote:The Brewers are a joke.Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:I am prepared to prove you completely wrong. Completely, 100% shitz-4-brainz wrong.I must note for the record that Mr. McGarvey is correct.The Brewers are a complete joke.They've coughed up a sizable wild card lead in the space of two weeks (and arguably one series) -- and they just gave up four goddam runs in the bottom of the ninth to the Cubs to tie the game.What in the hell is going on with this team?I am the one who is 100% shitz-4-brainz wrong.I was going to say something, but I figured I would at least wait until the end of the season in case my remarks were proven wrong.
pwalshj wrote:I have offered you sausage.
Rift Canyon Dreams

Let's Talk Baseball

MWilke wrote:Ty Webb wrote:As far as corporate names go, it could be a lot worse. But goddammit, I hate corporate naming.http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/09/ ... Target.phpI had my hopes on Land O' Lakes getting it after the rumors that the Twins bought the rights to the website domain landolakespark dot com. While it would have still have been corporate, it would have at least reminded you more of local landscape.

Hey, congrats on finally getting a real ballpark! No more Glad Trash Bags as outfield walls, hoorah!

Doesn't Minneapolis already have Target Center, where the T-Wolves play?

Let's Talk Baseball

Ty Webb wrote:GODDAMMIT, TWINS!How can their bullpen, which had been so strong for so much of the season, be their undoing now that it counts? Makes me want to pull my hair out.

The worst part is reading that they are outscoring opponents 131-114 while losing 16 of the last 24 games. It's just that a lot of those are 1 and 2 run losses.

I'm going to hit up at least one but maybe two of the White Sox games next week whether or not they count for anything. I've barely made it to any games this year.

Let's Talk Baseball

I'm not crazy about the dimensions of the new park. The power alleys are small compared to the Metrodome, there's a lot less foul territory, and there's no high fence anywhere. This is going to be a hitter's park, which doesn't bode well for a team that stays consistent based on bullpen strength and a system full of starting pitchers that pound the strikezone.

Let's Talk Baseball

Ty Webb wrote:As far as corporate names go, it could be a lot worse. But goddammit, I hate corporate naming.http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/09/ ... Target.php

I had my hopes on Land O' Lakes getting it after the rumors that the Twins bought the rights to the website domain landolakespark dot com. While it would have still have been corporate, it would have at least reminded you more of local landscape.

Let's Talk Baseball

This team definitely puzzles me. The reason why they've been so successful this decade despite having usually underwhelming lineups is that their bullpen consistently handled business in tight ballgames. Therefore a majority of games in which they had a good chance of winning were nailed down. If they were ever going to write a Moneyball type book about Terry Ryan and the Twins secret to overachieving this decade, the "OBP" secret would be bullpen depth, although Anaheim, Oakland, and San Diego seem to get this concept too.

Fast forward to this season where Bill Smith includes Eduardo Morlan, the best reliever prospect they had in the system, in that Delmon Young trade. Then he does nothing after losing Pat Neshek to a season ending injury. Oh wait, he gets a grizzled Eddie Guardado in late August after the bullpen's been responsible for a handful of games. It's really a shame that their one reliable strength has become a weakness while their usual weaknesses of low OBPs, lack of timely hitting, and a lack of quality innings from the back end of the rotation have dramatically improved this year.

I really hope Bill Smith wakes up from this, but so far there has been very little to encourage me in that respect.