Little tech questions from your day

SecondEdition wrote:Can anyone tell me what this guitar effect is and what it's supposed to do? I know Martin Moscrop from ACR used it on the band's early (and obviously best) stuff (he told me so), but I have no idea what the thing does.From everything in those reviews, it looks to me like VCF stands for Voltage Controlled Filter, so it's probably an ASDR envelope of some sort. That would be my guess.
This is going to get worse before it gets any better.

tarandfeathers wrote:Here's mine: the A820 and A827 have a reverse record function, but there's no second erase head on the take-up side of the record head. If you want to record something backwards, do you have to use blank tape or manually/spot erase the section to be recorded on before you start?Good point! I haven't ever use the reverse function on one of those machines, we had one at school but I never thought of that.

Most quality guitar cables have a conductive PVC layer around between the insulation of the lead and the shielding to help prevent microphonic noise as they move around. I would say that if it were being fixed in a pedal board then this would'nt be as much of an issue. You can roll your own .25 cables for next to nothing and get the exact lengths you need.