Little tech questions from your day

I was trying to find a thread just about Tascam tape machine problems but I'll just leave this here...Does anyone have a recommendation for where I can send a Tascam 488 for repair? One of mine has a problem where the tape speed fluctuates. Sometimes it gets pitched up or down for a while and I have to stop and fast forward or rewind and it usually comes back, sometimes it's just momentary fluctuations. I have replaced the belt in the past year or so and I can confirm that the moving parts are clean and spinning free. I suspect that it's an electronic issue.Any advice would be appreciated.

I need to make cables to go from my monitor control box (balanced TRS) to my power amp (unbalanced RCA). The Rane note on interconnections says to use 10b. The thing is, I believe the Mackie Big Knob passive I'm using is fake balanced, so I'm not sure if that plays into how I should wire the cables.tl;dr - how should I wire my balanced TRS to unbalanced RCA cables?

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:jbar wrote:Does anyone know if an egc does weird things to a clip on tuner? I've started using a proper box tuner or even my phone and I've noticed that my clip tuner was tuning me almost a half step sharp on the unwound strings. It is nowhere near accurate.I tried to play exactly one show with one of those things. Never again.I'm sitting here absolutely dumbfounded. It's tuning me all over the place. I basically own a paperweight.

jbar wrote:Does anyone know if an egc does weird things to a clip on tuner? I've started using a proper box tuner or even my phone and I've noticed that my clip tuner was tuning me almost a half step sharp on the unwound strings. It is nowhere near accurate.I have a TC Polytune clip-on that I use sometimes with my EGC and it works fine. Two things I can think of to mention.1. Make sure the floor tuner and the clip on tuner are set to the same reference pitch; A-440hz for example.2. Personally, I always tune with the 12 fret harmonic of the string, not the open string. It has more fundamental and far fewer overtones than hitting an open string. I do this no matter what tuner I'm using.Cheers!