Little tech questions from your day

Thanks so much guys, this is all really helpful. Riff Magnum wrote:NewDarkAge wrote:Not sure where to ask this and sure it has been addressed multiple times on the board before, but I was wondering if folks could give me advice on how many days to book a studio for making a record. It s 11 3-6 minute songs, straightforward band set up (guitar, singing, drums, bass, violin), and we ll be pretty well rehearsed. I know this is a hugely variable thing but wondered if you guys had ballpark advice.You say you're well rehearsed, but does that include doing demos of all the songs? Doing demos can expose flaws and weaknesses in your songs and in your band members performances. It's also a good way to get used to that "someone is listening to me play with a fucking magnifying glass" feeling you get in the studio. Sort all that shit out before you drop cash on a real recording. Prepro Bro, prepro.We re demoing as soon as term is over!

NewDarkAge wrote:Thanks so much guys, this is all really helpful. Riff Magnum wrote:NewDarkAge wrote:Not sure where to ask this and sure it has been addressed multiple times on the board before, but I was wondering if folks could give me advice on how many days to book a studio for making a record. It s 11 3-6 minute songs, straightforward band set up (guitar, singing, drums, bass, violin), and we ll be pretty well rehearsed. I know this is a hugely variable thing but wondered if you guys had ballpark advice.You say you're well rehearsed, but does that include doing demos of all the songs? Doing demos can expose flaws and weaknesses in your songs and in your band members performances. It's also a good way to get used to that "someone is listening to me play with a fucking magnifying glass" feeling you get in the studio. Sort all that shit out before you drop cash on a real recording. Prepro Bro, prepro.We re demoing as soon as term is over!consider to get excited: https://www.mixonline.com/recording/roc ... ons-372032

Mason wrote:A thought I'm having about a weird econo recording upgrade (not to distract from Sam's question, I'm just sitting on hold at work rn):Suppose I pick up an old Alesis HD24 ”the "XR" model, actually, since it can handle 96KHz. I arrange my recording setup this way:Mics --> Tascam board --(channel direct outs)--> HD24XR --(optical out)--> Roland interface --(USB)--> DAWso that I bypass the hard disk recorder entirely and am using the Alesis as 24 channels of decent, affordable A/D conversion.Does anything jump out immediately as a problem? I've never had to connect things over ADAT before. Is this even worth exploring as an upgrade?This will definitely work from the HD24 s perspective.At sample rates above 48kHz the HD24 is limited to 12 tracks (4 per ADAT I/O).

Mason wrote:A thought I'm having about a weird econo recording upgrade (not to distract from Sam's question, I'm just sitting on hold at work rn):Suppose I pick up an old Alesis HD24 ”the "XR" model, actually, since it can handle 96KHz. I arrange my recording setup this way:Mics --> Tascam board --(channel direct outs)--> HD24XR --(optical out)--> Roland interface --(USB)--> DAWso that I bypass the hard disk recorder entirely and am using the Alesis as 24 channels of decent, affordable A/D conversion.Does anything jump out immediately as a problem? I've never had to connect things over ADAT before. Is this even worth exploring as an upgrade?It could be that your interface can not handle 24 channels at 96Khz. Usually if you use the Adat Input of an 8 track interface it will only handle another 8 tracks at 96 but using a third interface over Adat will limit it to 48Khz. At least that s how the RME interfaces work.

NewDarkAge wrote:Having a problem with the G string on an electric guitar (with a TOM bridge). It s sharp all the way up the fretboard (not just progressively) ” as in, tuned to a G, the A on the second fret will be noticeably sharp. Any idea what would cause this? The intonation on the other strings is fine.It could be that it *sounds* sharp to your ears when used in certain chords. That's a whole other world of hurt than basic intonation. Check the tuner first and see what note you're gettin' when you're frettin' and make sure it really is sharp.If it is definitely sharp when fretted then the nut is cut weird. Tune the G string (using a tuner) by fretting it somewhere - let's say the 7th fret so it's a D in standard tuning. See if it fixes it on all your fretted chords. Then see if it's flat when you play it open. If so it's your nut. Give the slot a clean with a toothbrush and see if it fixes it. If not then get a new nut cut by a professional.
Rick Reuben wrote:We're all sensitive people
With so much love to give, understand me sugar
Since we got to be... Lets say, I love you

A thought I'm having about a weird econo recording upgrade (not to distract from Sam's question, I'm just sitting on hold at work rn):Suppose I pick up an old Alesis HD24 ”the XR model, actually, since it can handle 96KHz. I arrange my recording setup this way:Mics --> Tascam board --(channel direct outs)--> HD24XR --(optical out)--> Roland interface --(USB)--> DAWso that I bypass the hard disk recorder entirely and am using the Alesis as 24 channels of decent, affordable A/D conversion.Does anything jump out immediately as a problem? I've never had to connect things over ADAT before. Is this even worth exploring as an upgrade?