PRF members' tech journal

Ampeg SVT 810 Cabinet (cont.):Installed new grille cloth on the old frame, after painting the frame black and gluing/clamping a crack in it. I used some blue-gray outdoor shade cloth I found on amazon. 6 ft x 15 ft roll was $33 shipped, so I've got a lot left over for other things or if it ever tears. Put new velcro on it to secure it to the cab.New speakers should be here in a couple of days.

Got all of the new speakers installed in the 810. 4 Jensen Mods in the upper chambers, 3 Eminence B810s and an OEM Ampeg Eminence in the lower chambers. Major difference over the CTSs. Significantly more low-end extension, but still bright and cutting enough for the grindy distorted stuff I play. You can hear the output move up the cabinet as you move up the neck, almost like there's a crossover installed. Really pleased with how it sounds now.

Recently sold a dude one of my build that was a personal amp for years with no problems, which now has them? The bullet points:- Guy says he experienced fartiness on low notes so he change the power tubes- He did not adjust bias when he changed the tubes- Amp blew the B+ fuse shortly after that- He brings it to me, I change the fuse, sure enough the new tubes were running too hot, I adjust bias and send him on his way- Comes back saying the amp was great for an hour of play then the fuse blew again- Troubleshooting, I leave the amp on, on the bench, for an hour or two with nothing happening.- Out of the blue one tube starts red-plating!- I swap the two tubes to see if the red-plate follows the tube or the socket and havent been able to get it to red-plate sinceSo now i'm just trying to make this intermittent fuck up happen again. My hunch says its these new tubes, but until it happens again I cant be certain of it. Also, it could possibly have been a tube socket making poor connection that just got cleaned after a few removals and insertions of tubes. Frustrating.

Peavey Deuce VT Series:Belongs to FM garthplinko. The Deuce is loose!Seriously, the pins on the tube sockets were loose and not making good contact. One tube wasn't receiving heater voltage unless you pulled it out slightly. Retensioned the pins, cleaned them with cleaner, and resoldered them to the PCB. Cleaned/lubed the pots while I was in there, and replaced a missing power cord strain relief. The phaser is cool/cheesy as hell!Sunn Concert PA:Also FM garthplinko's. Would randomly pop and hum. Found a broken solder joint on a preamp power supply filter capacitor. Cleaned about 40 years of dust and grime out from the inside using distilled water and an air compressor. Cleaned/lubed the pots (all 17 of them). Reverb tank was hooked up backwards and basically useless, so I swapped those connections. Replaced the broken power cord. Touched up a few dodgy-looking solder joints.