Jawbox

Crap
Total votes: 5 (8%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 59 (92%)
Total votes: 64

Band: Jawbox

chet wrote:Not crap!

How many other bands can you think of that got actually much better when they signed to a major label?

I agree. I like their Dischord albums, but For Your Own Special Sweetheart is stellar.

I keep hoping that DeSoto Records will eventually get the rights to it back from Atlantic, but it's been years without any progress on that front. Too bad, because it deserves to be in print.

Severance Package wrote:
chet wrote:Not crap!

How many other bands can you think of that got actually much better when they signed to a major label?

I agree. I like their Dischord albums, but For Your Own Special Sweetheart is stellar.

I keep hoping that DeSoto Records will eventually get the rights to it back from Atlantic, but it's been years without any progress on that front. Too bad, because it deserves to be in print.

Desoto does have the rights back, and I hear will be rereleasing both albums in the spring.

Anyway. The first three albums are all great, each one better than the last. Didn't much care for the fourth album.

Eight grade for me was all about Unsane, Fugazi, and Jawbox.

A solid NOT CRAP.

Burning Airlines were great too.
Police Teeth: we like Void so much, we decided not to sound like them.

horsewhip wrote:Anyway. The first three albums are all great, each one better than the last. Didn't much care for the fourth album.

aw, that's a great record, even if they were touring with stone temple pilots (or whatever) at the time. it was probably the weirdest one they did. that drummer was really something.. i wonder what happened to him? three or four years ago he had a band called THE UP ON IN and they were pretty bad.

never cared for burning airlines, though it's my favorite eno song

aaron wrote:aw, that's a great record, even if they were touring with stone temple pilots (or whatever) at the time. it was probably the weirdest one they did. that drummer was really something.. i wonder what happened to him? three or four years ago he had a band called THE UP ON IN and they were pretty bad.

The drumming is probably the best thing about that album. I dunno, man. The 'pop' and 'punk' elements seemed to be pretty at odds, and I think the songs (especially in the second half) suffered for it. John Agnello's merciless overproduction doesn't help things much either. It's definately their "pop" album, and I'm not really a pop guy.
Police Teeth: we like Void so much, we decided not to sound like them.