Flipper?

Crap.
Total votes: 7 (7%)
Not crap.
Total votes: 92 (93%)
Total votes: 99

Band: Flipper Flipper?

Funny this was bumped and especially for the conversation at hand.. good thunderdome here..Been listening to Gone Fishin' a ton lately. Flipper will always be one of my favorites. I find myself quoting them to myself and getting more inspiration from these guys than perhaps most people should. One of my favorite schticks in music. Love it. Love both albums.But man Generic is just a motherfucker of an icon to me; especially of what Flipper was.

El Protoolio wrote:I listened to them both this morning and again this evening. Generic has some of the classic songs and is great but Gone Fishin just has more of something that I can't place. It also has the other classic songs. We are talking slight degrees of difference. Almost a coin flip.Yeah, totally agree. Gone Fishin' has this strange sophistication about it, an eerie calmness. It's bold and experimental but not pretentious at all. Great record, smart follow up to the near elementally perfect Generic.It always reminds me a little bit of Solid Gold: simmering anger via numbing depression after the spectacular debut.But my fav is still Public Flipper Limited: the dirge tracks crush me every time, especially the end of the world renditions of '(I Saw You) Shine' and 'The Wheel'.N.C, obviously.

Public Flipper Limited, the singles, and Generic are the gist of it for me.Gone Fishin' is good, but it was really dumb of them to practically mix out Ted Falconi's guitar, thus neutering the sound. And I like the demo/early studio/live versions of those songs quite a bit better than what ended up getting released on the final LP. Sacrifice, for example... Really wish someone would press a double album of the 1982 unreleased studio session recorded btw. the two albums. However, I have a strong suspicion that the band probably would want a serious chunk of change in return...

a leg plaster wrote:A cassette exists for the '82 demos. Cannot vouch on the quality, but it could make a good vehicle or boom box companion if you've already ditched the home stereo tape deck. From the same label that put out Void's metal album on the same format.Neat. And thanks. Can't say I'm much of a tape buyer, but maybe I will make an exception. I wonder if they sourced it from mp3s or what?Supposedly there was a European double CD bootleg of this stuff that came out years ago, but I have yet to meet anyone who can confirm the existence of anything beyond CD-R copies...

better wrote:I like both bands, but how bad did Pissed Jeans rip off Flipper?Not too badly if you ask me. In the same vein of No Trend ripped off Flipper and Flipper rips off PIL, there are just noticable similarities in music and attitude between these bands. Turns out it's a pretty great formula to draw influence from!