Recommend a... (Tech Room edition)

bart favre wrote:Please recommend me an inexpensive new or used bass for recording demos and basic stuff. I am a guitar player, but I want to have a bass for mild use. Will I be happy with a cheapo Bronco, a Squier Affinity Jazz or P-Bass? I just want something that doesn't look hideous, has decent sustain and stays in tune. What about those Ibanez Talmans? They seem to look alright. $200 will get you a Peavey T-20 and they're pretty decent.

While we're on the topic of speakers - I'm running a Jag into a HH100 and occasional a Bassman head and I like the overall quality, especially the midrange but it can be hard to get it bright enough when clean without it being too piercing.My 2x12 has a pair of Vintage 30's and I'm thinking of swapping one of them, as I feel I'm pretty close. A Greenback seems, to me, too similar. Would a creamback be too far a shout? I'd basically like a more even top end response and possible a little extra definition in the low end too.

Stinky Pete wrote:While we're on the topic of speakers - I'm running a Jag into a HH100 and occasional a Bassman head and I like the overall quality, especially the midrange but it can be hard to get it bright enough when clean without it being too piercing.My 2x12 has a pair of Vintage 30's and I'm thinking of swapping one of them, as I feel I'm pretty close. A Greenback seems, to me, too similar. Would a creamback be too far a shout? I'd basically like a more even top end response and possible a little extra definition in the low end too.its going to be pretty similar, for some that contrast maybe an eminence legend, or i swapped one out in a 2x12 for a https://wgsusa.com/ReaperHP and really liked what it brought in the low end

Audiophile wrote:Which one is better for a small home studio? The JBL LSR305 or KRK Rokit 5 G3?https://homestudiomaven.com/studio-moni ... rokit-5-g3 Both studio monitors are great and compact with almost the same specs. Both feature 5 and 1 tweeters but the major difference between the two is their bass ports. JBL LSR305 is backported while KRK Rokit 5 G3 is front ported. This might not be a huge criterion but if your home studio is really tight and you will have to hang these monitors close to your walls, front ported will be a great choice for you.I'm selling a pair of Equator Audio D5's. You should PM me.

So you know how I want to buy a strat that I really like? I think I found it, but it has fotoflame sunburst finish. It's honestly not the worst of the fotoflames, but it's still a fotoflame and I'd like to strip the body and refinish it. The stripping I can probably do myself with a heatgun and some scraping, but I don't want to finish another guitar. The must be a place I can send a body to to get it refinished in black, right? Trying to google it I come up with all sort of custom shops that don't have prices listed. Please help. I don't want to be a blues lawyer.

eliya wrote:So you know how I want to buy a strat that I really like? I think I found it, but it has fotoflame sunburst finish. It's honestly not the worst of the fotoflames, but it's still a fotoflame and I'd like to strip the body and refinish it. The stripping I can probably do myself with a heatgun and some scraping, but I don't want to finish another guitar. The must be a place I can send a body to to get it refinished in black, right? Trying to google it I come up with all sort of custom shops that don't have prices listed. Please help. I don't want to be a blues lawyer.My personal take is if the guitar speaks to you, own it. Don't fuck around with it like that. Hell, after taking it apart and stripping and refinishing it might not even be That Shit anymore.
http://www.myspace.com/leopoldandloebchicago

Linus Van Pelt wrote:I subscribe to neither prong of your false dichotomy.

On paper, yeah, but I think this guitar sounds really good unplugged (which is how I spent most of my time playing) and plugged in. I kinda don't want to mess with whatever equilibrium it has. Also, sometimes there's enough variation in neck pocket size where it becomes a pain in the ass. I've gone deep down the rabbit hole of a partscaster that I also finished myself, and while I still like to tinker (evidenced by my wanting to strip it and refinish it), I don't want to fully dive into that rabbit hole again!But I get what you're saying. It's a strat - they made so many of them!