Film: Sorry to Bother You Film: Sorry to Bother You

A cross between Being John Malkovich and Idiocracy.I haven't laughed harder at a line in a movie (the horse cock one) in quite some time.If anyone's interested, I nabbed a few bits of dialogue and score from the movie that wasn't on the OST. PM if you want it. They released the soundtrack, but it's only 9 songs and doesn't include a lot of stuff that's in the movie. So I did it myself. Ha!
Tiny Monk site and blog

Rented it about a week before it showed up on Hulu several months back.I liked the spirit of the film--the tone, execution, and overstuffed screenplay not so much. Sorry to Bother You was kind of grating after a while, truth be told. It felt more like an animated Twitter wall, filtered through Netflix sensibilities and leftist talking points, than the Best Film of 2018 that many made it out to be.Ousmane Sembène's Black Girl came out on Criterion the same month that several people on the internet implored everyone they knew to rent Sorry to Bother You, as if it was their civic duty. None of these people seemed to care about the former, which is a far better piece of filmmaking, and more historically significant.Sorry to Bother You = Meh

How many people who aren't already in line with Sorry to Bother You's worldview leave the film feeling changed by it?? It's mostly an absurdist pop-culture romp that preaches to the choir. Maybe that's what some people need instead of another dumb rom-com or murder movie, but films about the potential hellishness of work are nothing new (from some Chaplin and Harold Lloyd films, and Clair's à Nous la Liberté, to countless others). This is far from being the best one.I think Sorry to Bother You's target audience gets what it's trying to convey, and can see the parallels between its hellish vision of the world and our own reality, which yes, aren't that far apart in places. But it's more of a candy-colored lark than a great statement. As a movie, it's yet another newer film that's trying to be several different things at once and only succeeding at some of them, undermining its impact. As a writer-director Boots bites off more than he can chew. And the film's pacing and tone have problems.Sembène is world famous, yes. And one could argue Black Girl is old hat, being the first proper African feature film ever. But it getting a new transfer and being made widely available is more of an "event" for me than most of what passes for cinema these days. Black Girl says some interesting things about colonialism and people turning a blind eye to the quality of life of those who do their dirty work. It's as relevant now as ever, whether the average person is curious or resourceful enough to watch it or not. But it's also a crackingly good debut feature that's already stood the test of time. I suspect Sorry to Bother You won't age as well.

Man, Sembène is already considered a titan of world cinema and the most prominent African director probably ever. I literally learned about him in a collegiate French class.Meanwhile Amazon's actual leaked anti-union training video looks like it could've come out of Sorry To Bother You's third act.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQeGBHxIyHwI get it, Bootsy made something akin to pop culture, it's not as aesthetically perfect. But historical significance? In 2019? You're crazy, STBY is trying to do the job that no cache of international culture could accomplish.