Film: Sorry to Bother You Film: Sorry to Bother You

Girlfriend and I saw it last night. I thought it was good, the third act held up for me, I was worried that it wouldn't (had this problem with 'Being John Malkovich'). I've read that this movie reminds some people of 'Repo Man', yeah, I definitely felt that (not just with the 'Soda Cola' either). Armie Hammer was great in his role. My girlfriend said the love story aspect of it didn't really work - I agreed. It's great that this movie is getting attention and rave reviews, because I've always felt The Coup - Boots Riley's group - was underrated. 'Steal This Album' is one of my favorite rap albums of all time.

I absolutely adored every part of this movie.It somehow manages to be about 5 different things at once, and does a pretty damn good job at all of them.I have no idea where i'm going to put it, but i've actually feel motivated to write about this film. Solely for the interest in getting people out to see it. It also is the first movie that truly made me a little homesick for moving from Oakland since leaving. I'll probably need to see it again, just so i'm not trying to play place that street/building in my head. Absolutely NOT CRAP. See it in a theater.
Yes it's true, I am made from atoms.

eliya wrote:The one thing I didn't like was that he got the girl at the end. Or I wouldn't have minded it if it weren't so on the nose.I was thinking about this too, and here's what I came up with:There's so much...ah... other stuff going on in the end. Stuff that could be considered a bit of a harsh toke for the average film goer. It's a little bit Hollywood on-the-nose-happy ending, but perhaps that is meant to counter balance the heavy workers right message and magical realism stuff at the end?Meaning, that delivering something that's very easy to understand with a bunch of stuff that's harder to parse and requires some thought is the spoonful of sugar, you know?

Last thing! The theme song is OYAHYTT is largely composed by PRF Adjacent Oakland dude Ryan Christopher Parks of B. Hamilton. I had somehow forgotten that, and when it came on I was thinking... hunh. Kind of musically sounds like B. Hamilton for a second. Then I remembered that there was a good reason for that.This may not be important to anybody else, but Ryan is a hell of a talent who has never really had his stuff exposed beyond the local hero status. The fact that his music is such a big part of this incredible and unique film is a very special kind of wonderful.

Angus Jung wrote:It doesn't even need to be seen as an Orwell reference. It's a barely exaggerated depiction of how Amazon/WorryFree management truly sees their workforce - inhuman/nonhuman working fodder.Right, which I thought was depicted plenty well with the slave/jail work camp. Where they took it was a bit silly to me, and took me out of the movie.Minor point: was Danny Glover's character supposed to lead to something more? Seems like they hinted at him having some insight into the 'power seller' world but he just sorta disappeared.. On a positive note: I thought the relationship story was subtly clever, in that she initially dumped him for being a scab! Can't think of too many movies that turn resistance into a sexy quality.