About Studio B at electrical audio

Christophe H wrote:The pragmatic point of vue about this particular configuration at elecricalaudio, with 2 studios, whose one is cheaper than the other is very understandable. But, I was wondering: do some bands, and not necessarily the poorest, ask for recording in studio B? A so high ceiling, such a live room, may seduce some bands who has the budget to record in studio A, but finally choose the 16 tracks studio because of this crazy live room. In videos on internet, we mostly see parts of sessions, interviews etc in studio B. Finally, what studio is more asked for recordings in a year at electricalaudio? Is the choice essentially a question of money?Plenty of people book B for its character as opposed to the price. I don't know what the percentage is over all, but for the bands I've recorded in studio B, I'd say about half of them specifically want studio B, the rest, it fits their budget a little better, or don't necessarily care. I should note that both studio's are virtually identical as far as what you record with (microphones, tape machines, and computers). I only say that because of your comment that studio B was the "16 track studio".As far as which studio gets booked more, it's kind of a crap-shoot. Historically, the bookings are pretty much evenly distributed between the two, with maybe more freelance sessions in studio B.
Greg Norman FG

scattered thoughts:-I've never recorded at EA with anything more than a trio, and booking massive studio A felt 'indulgent' for our needs (especially on solo records), so I/we opted for B most of the time.-studio B console seems to have a bit more bass 'character' to it. Not like a Neve or anything, but a sound. The one attempt at mixing in studio A I thought had an extremely clean, to the point of being brittle high end to it. I'm not sure I dig it for rock music, or, I would go back and request more outboard pres (Neves or clones, APIs, Greg's pre) if I could redo that session. (I heard second hand that Bill Skibbe said both EA consoles were 'too clean', but dude is mixing on fuckin' Sly Stone's old board..)-if recording analog and you have the choice between the 16 or 24 track block, absolutely go with the 16. Unless you think you're really gonna be desperate for tracks. (most projects probably wouldn't be)-Studio B is cool! Sure it's $200/day cheaper but you will feel like a fuggin' king recording there.

greg wrote:Christophe H wrote:The pragmatic point of vue about this particular configuration at elecricalaudio, with 2 studios, whose one is cheaper than the other is very understandable. But, I was wondering: do some bands, and not necessarily the poorest, ask for recording in studio B? A so high ceiling, such a live room, may seduce some bands who has the budget to record in studio A, but finally choose the 16 tracks studio because of this crazy live room. In videos on internet, we mostly see parts of sessions, interviews etc in studio B. Finally, what studio is more asked for recordings in a year at electricalaudio? Is the choice essentially a question of money?Plenty of people book B for its character as opposed to the price. I don't know what the percentage is over all, but for the bands I've recorded in studio B, I'd say about half of them specifically want studio B, the rest, it fits their budget a little better, or don't necessarily care. I should note that both studio's are virtually identical as far as what you record with (microphones, tape machines, and computers). I only say that because of your comment that studio B was the "16 track studio".As far as which studio gets booked more, it's kind of a crap-shoot. Historically, the bookings are pretty much evenly distributed between the two, with maybe more freelance sessions in studio B.FWIW, having done a bunch of stuff in both studios:I slightly prefer Studio A. It behaves predictably and evenly, and it's definitely more flexible in terms of viable recording setups. Easier to mix in there, especially if you have a peanut gallery.But there's something about B. Great and distinctive-if-set room sound. Even just mixing in there, something about the mixes out of that room sounds slightly deeper and thicker, in a good way. I'd say A is better for clarity, evenness of sound, and convenience, but B has a unique character that can be used to excellent effect--one that is honestly not achievable in too many other studios I've been in.