Film: Midsommar Film: Midsommar?

atomjackfuser wrote:I honestly didn't laugh because the absurdity level didn't reach the point were shit gets funny. You feel awful for Dani, so how can you laugh at that. If I watched it again, perhaps the bear "suit" would be funny. The funny bear part was when Simon asks "Are we all gonna ignore the bear?" and Ingmar says "It's a bear" and they keep walking, casually passing over the bear.
To me Steve wrote:I'm curious why[...] you wouldn't just fuck off instead. Let's hear your record, cocksocket.

Saw it last night, loved it. So much possible social commentary in here: dudes being dudes, the purpose of academia (who it is really for), anthropology and transgressions made in the pursuit of knowledge, male/female dynamics, the collective pain of women, the male sexual appetite for young girls, individuality vs community, religion, treatment of elders, euthanasia, dignified death, race relations, revenge vs forgiveness, what it means to be free both socially and spiritually, the connectedness of everything.It was creepy as fuck throughout even though, as acknowledged earlier, the glyphs told the story. The photography was amazing, costumes brilliant, nice comedic elements thrown into the horror, and I believe it is a horror film, though not a slasher or monster or supernatural film. The special effects during the psychedelic trips were amazing and the most accurate representation of a trip I have ever seen put to film, specifically the way things "breathed" and when the May Queen ran her hands along the leaves while seated at the table, and she seemed to draw them to her. Brilliant, closed thing to a "flashback" (which I don't really believe in) I have had. I need to see Hereditary.
To me Steve wrote:I'm curious why[...] you wouldn't just fuck off instead. Let's hear your record, cocksocket.

The most cringey, horrifying part of the movie was the conversation between Christian and Dani after she has just found out he's going to Sweden in two weeks(!!!) and he tries to do the whole "well, I told you I wanted to go to Sweden, what's the the big deal?". I've definitely been on the Christian side of that conversation a few times.
Pure L wrote:I get shocked whenever I use my table saw while barefooted.

I Made Out With You Before You Were Cool
Don't Sit On The Pickets

And sure I wasn't ever scared. In fact I found myself grinning a lot towards the end. But, shit that's fine. I thought Hereditary was great for the droning, anxious unease that eventually gave way to more staccato intensity. This one, once it gets going, is more of just the unrelenting drone with different layer coming in and shedding off and getting really dense at the end. It was the more Life Metal of the two movies.

Ok, mild spoilery, though we've been doing that. One of my favorite things was nice blond lady who was so polite about waking up the boy friend character near the end. Great comedy moment. I saw the movie last night and I've been thinking about it all damned day. I kinda blocked out the opening tragedy part. That was really the most horrific part. It was just so damned real and sad. Going on vacation with a friend's family can be scary sometimes.Full spoilers:Any thoughts on the actual rituals that were peppered through the movie? The deal with the cliff has a funny version in that Netflix show Norsemen. Early on there's mention of skinning a fool and there's that jester hat later on, but I've not heard of that before. Was there much context to the Blood eagle scene? The bear stuff seems familiar but I don't know why. The voodoo lemonade and hair pie is a common thing right? I'll have to look this stuff up.

I like that the creepiest parts for me were the more mundane social phenomena. This likely says more about me than the movie, but the most tense part for me was the mayqueen dance (even before it got wierd). I don't have fun at weddings either. Plenty of normal stuff was creepy in this movie by way of the heightened setting. Like dudes being dudes, doe-eyed young sexuality, cultural cohesion, day tripping, all those flowers/allergies. I like the mild psychedelia with the visuals and I really dug the buildings. I liked the bear at the beginning.It is kinda spoilery if you know how movies work, though. All the tapestries and all made it hard to not see the bits coming. Kinda like in hereditary where they have a high school lit class that addresses a major theme of the film in the film (we should make a list of movies that do this). I liked it.

EXTREMELY GOODThe only issue I had was that a couple of scenes were a bit unnecessarily Hannibal-y which didn't really gel. Beyond that, great cast, great script, great camera, great effects, great soundtrack, great great great.Also: What do we call this? I feel like this isn't, technically, a horror movie. It uses horror sound design and certain beats, but it's... different.
http://www.myspace.com/leopoldandloebchicago

Linus Van Pelt wrote:I subscribe to neither prong of your false dichotomy.

placeholder wrote:NOT CRAP. I thought it was just fine, but I wanted and expected to be way more into it.I loved Dani's arc, in addition to the atmosphere, performances, photography, production design, editing, effects, and sound design. It's a very well-made movie.It just didn't scare, surprise, or unnerve me at all. I could see all the moves. If you think you know what this movie's going to be, you're probably exactly right.I agree with all this, with the exception of the photography, which I found distractingly self-indulgent at times. It s a decent film, but Aster is in danger of becoming the Christopher Nolan of horror. I also think his exploitation tendencies sometimes veer into plain exploitative ” aside from anything else this is his second film in a row that does ˜facially disfigured children are sinister . It s no Wicker Man. Florence Pugh is incredible, though.Adam Sr wrote:I enjoyed the hammer to the old man's face as a literalised metaphor for Ari Aster's crushingly middlebrow sensibility.Nice. œElevated horror is just a way of making horror middlebrow. I liked this review.