Film: Midsommar Film: Midsommar?

placeholder wrote:NOT CRAP. I thought it was just fine, but I wanted and expected to be way more into it.I loved Dani's arc, in addition to the atmosphere, performances, photography, production design, editing, effects, and sound design. It's a very well-made movie.It just didn't scare, surprise, or unnerve me at all. I could see all the moves. If you think you know what this movie's going to be, you're probably exactly right.This is a good summary.It was a mild disappointment for me.Character and plot wise, it's super thin and that means, although there's a sense of dread for the first half or so, there is virtually no tension, drama, or scares.The biggest issue for me though, linked to the above, the ridiculous runtime. This should have been a 100 minute film. I saw no reason to make it 140 mins. I actually started to get a tad bored towards the end as the padding accentuates the lack of tension/drama.Not close to Hereditary for me

Great as an experience (visuals and sound design), would echo the calls to see it in the cinema.Kinda obvious. Too long. A little too slow in too many places. The horror elements were the bits that didn't work that well for me. The most grotesque spectacles imaginable became passé in mainstream fare like Saw or Hostel over a decade ago. I think the film would have worked better without being so explicit, though I wasted so much of my mid-20s watching any old garbage that my senses are pretty dulled at this point. I dunno... the whole "Look how beautiful the squashed head is!"... I mean, who will watch this film in 2019 and be shocked by that, I wonder?Hammered the politics a little too bluntly for most of the run time ("Look out, well-educated, multiracial urbanites! White people be lurkin' in the hills with their primitive runes and their violence!"), but they muddied the water enough in the last 20 mins for me to give it a pass. Sending mixed messages about identity, individualism, community and tradition is a bold move right now.N.C.

zircona1 wrote:I really enjoyed it. The early scene with the firefighters going into the house was fantastic, in the way that it was shot, and the droning soundtrack.To me, the pre-title sequence was the most horrifying part of the film. Not that rest of the film wasn't off-putting, but you knew some bad shit was coming. I honestly didn't laugh because the absurdity level didn't reach the point were shit gets funny. You feel awful for Dani, so how can you laugh at that. If I watched it again, perhaps the bear "suit" would be funny. I don't know, maybe if I hadn't saw it in a mostly empty theater at 10:50 AM on Sunday (6 USD) it would have played a little different. Will Poulter just was annoying to me.

tallchris wrote:The most cringey, horrifying part of the movie was the conversation between Christian and Dani after she has just found out he's going to Sweden in two weeks(!!!) and he tries to do the whole "well, I told you I wanted to go to Sweden, what's the the big deal?". I've definitely been on the Christian side of that conversation a few times.My wife turns to me and goes, "OMG, this is the most accurate illustration of the way men communicate vs. the way women communicate I have ever seen on screen, and how women are constantly apologizing for having feelings." Definitely made me a bit ashamed to be a man.zircona1 wrote:I really enjoyed it. The early scene with the firefighters going into the house was fantastic, in the way that it was shot, and the droning soundtrack. Yes.
To me Steve wrote:I'm curious why[...] you wouldn't just fuck off instead. Let's hear your record, cocksocket.