Re: Little Details from Your Day

losthighway wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:09 pmThe end might not be near at all, this shit might carry on for two more centuries and just keep getting weirder and awful in ways we haven't imagined.
Yeah. Even if we imagine the extinction of humanity, rather than everything disappearing in a ball of fire it might be more of a long, drawn-out suffering. Or, no extinction occurs at all, just continuing sickness, poisoning, mutation.

Not that I would attach myself to these views either. Point is our spontaneous ways of imagining catastrophe may not have much at all to do with the reality of such catastrophe.

With the climate situation we're in an odd circumstance in that we know we're at some kind of end-point, and therefore anticipation of catastrophe seems intuitive and rational, but our ways of conceiving such catastrophe take forms which far precede any historical awareness of ecological collapse. I'm assuming this holds especially for those raised in Christian cultures, although in this day and age with the speed and flexibility at which mythical motifs can transplant themselves and meld with others, this distinction might be less important.

In a similar way when we think of history, apart from the obvious difference between imagined or narrated history and actual or material history, there is the fact that we can clearly recognize qualitative changes over time, whether we judge them good or bad or neutral, while on another level it looks like the same thing repeating over and over, nothing new under the sun.

And if we judge certain historical changes to be good, there is nevertheless often a kind of disappointment in them, a kind of anticlimax, like it never really arrived where it was supposed to go. All these good things, and yet... this is it? Like nothing has happened despite so much having happened. All this change in the right direction, and still and endless way to go, still being thwarted by the same evils.

So that kind of "disappointment" might hold too for whatever horrific scenarios are imagined. While at the same time, there are all kinds of horrific things that are with us right now, and have been with us all throughout, and are so common to us that we can look at them with indifference. There are places from which catastrophe can be imagined and anticipated, and other simultaneous places that are in catastrophe, from which an inhabitant might turn to someone imagining the great future catastrophe and ask "compared to what?".
born to give

enframed wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:30 am
jimmy spako wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:53 am Today, my low-key mid-life crisis (current slice of my whole-life crisis) has me fantasizing about becoming a semi-professional cymbalmodder:

Shit, that looks fun!
Cheap B8 alloy cymbals are in every pawn shop for next to naught!

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=sabian%20xs%20ride
tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.

dontfeartheringo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:04 pm
enframed wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:30 am
jimmy spako wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:53 am Today, my low-key mid-life crisis (current slice of my whole-life crisis) has me fantasizing about becoming a semi-professional cymbalmodder:

Shit, that looks fun!
Cheap B8 alloy cymbals are in every pawn shop for next to naught!

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=sabian%20xs%20ride
This guy looks like he has some instructional videos.

tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.

losthighway wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:09 pmThe end might not be near at all, this shit might carry on for two more centuries and just keep getting weirder and awful in ways we haven't imagined.
By the way you can look into Nick Land if you feel like torturing yourself with this kind of stuff. The one philosopher to put out things I find genuinely disturbing. Given me waking nightmares.

I have a dissertation on my drive that goes through some of it, I'll see if I can find the original link.
born to give

Some people outside are speaking aggressively and loudly in Arabic and it sounds like they're arguing but one of them said assalamu alaikum several times and you wouldn't wish peace on someone your arguing with.

Reminds me of an ex-roomie from Bulgaria who had someone asked him if he was arguing when he was having a normal phone convo with his mom.
born to give