Re: What are you buying, What's on its way?

Gear bought since the forum stopped working, but I kept working and since there was no travel or vacations had way more to blow on gear:

EGC 32" scale baritone/bass VI
Moog Rogue
Yamaha RX15 drum machine (shipped from Japan and took three months to get here)
Focusrite Scarlett i2
GSE KWB+
Tiny Behringer mixer and snakes to plug all the synths into one dumb thing
Roland JU-06a
Crumar organ footpedals
EGC Series 5 bass
EHX Green Russian Big Muff

Sold my Rick 4003SW and a whole bunch of random pedals.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

tallchris wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:17 pm Gear bought since the forum stopped working, but I kept working and since there was no travel or vacations had way more to blow on gear:

Moog Rogue
Focusrite Scarlett i2
GSE KWB+
Roland JU-06a
Crumar organ footpedals
EGC Series 5 bass

Them EGCs new or used?
guitar in - weaklungband.bandcamp.com/

Owen wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:37 pm
tallchris wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:17 pm Gear bought since the forum stopped working, but I kept working and since there was no travel or vacations had way more to blow on gear:

Moog Rogue
Focusrite Scarlett i2
GSE KWB+
Roland JU-06a
Crumar organ footpedals
EGC Series 5 bass

Them EGCs new or used?
Both used! I did finally get my EGC Series 2 guitar just before Seattle started locking in down in March '20 (ordered in June '16).
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

tallchris wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:24 pm
Owen wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:37 pm

Moog Rogue
Focusrite Scarlett i2
GSE KWB+
Roland JU-06a
Crumar organ footpedals
EGC Series 5 bass

Them EGCs new or used?
Both used! I did finally get my EGC Series 2 guitar just before Seattle started locking in down in March '20 (ordered in June '16).
Nice! Take that wait list!

I was going to finally replace my Bean I sold, saved up a bunch, but the price for the guitars are so stupid I couldn't pull the trigger. Ended up getting an EGC Chessie (used), a JCM 800 2204, and a 73 Orange 4x12.
guitar in - weaklungband.bandcamp.com/

A couple months ago, my old Mac mini hit a point where it wouldn't take Big Sur, so I got a new Mini with the fancy Apple silicon M1 chip. This, plus the lack of Firewire port, made my old MOTU 828mkii interface obsolete. It had a nearly 20 year run, so I'm not upset. Anyway I replaced it with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, which can do 8 analog ins, which is enough for home drum tracking.

Big Sur and the M1 chip was also a little fussy with Reaper, not so much Reaper per-se, but IIRC there was an "allow reaper to access microphone" setting that wasn't available as a native M1 app, so I had to run it separately in Rosetta (Apple's translator for non compliant software), THEN say ok to the microphone thing and finally I could run Reaper as a native M1 app. I don't have a lot of plugins, but the Waves ones I use seem to relicense ok to the new Mac.

Sorry for all the details here, but I know there are a lot of Reaper fans here and I wanted to give a little brain dump of my travails. I feel like I'm out on the bleeding edge right now with the Apple M1 stuff, and my advice to folks would be not leap into it with mission critical stuff unless you have a backup machine.

-Chris
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

I am lucky I had the chance to pick up some new pieces over the past two years to add to our working gear. The place I have is a quasi-hobby recording environment that I have been putting together gradually over the past 15-20 years, piece by piece, to record stuff that people couldn't afford to record otherwise where I am from. Lots of great music here all the time, a couple really great studios, but not a lot of money anywhere. Anyway.

McCurdy PSU and 6 channels of AT284, hammond output iron, and Daven pots.

I am just in the process of re-capping this stuff and trying to figure out the metal work to rack them up. These I believe were dumpster-dived from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

George Massenberg Labs GML8304 + GML8355 PSU
Neumann KM183
Apogee Mini-Me

These three pieces I picked up from a local studio that was closing. The family that ran the studio were getting out of the business to open a photography joint focusing on boudoir photography. I got an incredible deal on these pieces and each I have found really useful. I am grateful to be able to find the occasional deal running around here. The GML8304 has a bad channel right now, but for what I paid for it, even with that channel down until I get a chance to sort it out is a MAD DEAL. The only thing that really blows about the 8304 is that for some reason all the phantom power switches are located on the back panel. Bummer.

The 183 is pretty awesome. I like it as a mono room. Nice for some other things too. Have used it on some percussion and strings. Got this for really cheap. It looked like it had never been out of the box and dudelinger through in a pretty nice AKG shock mount.

The Mini-Me I got to clock to, for two extra channels and I just like the little buggers. They sound pretty good. And they're small enough to take somewhere in a bag to record a live stereo kind of thing. Not that I do that really that often, but as I told my wife. I just might.

Radial McBoost

I have been borrowing a Cloudlifter from a dear friend of mine to use with my low output dynamics and ribbons for the past few years. Finally got around to buying this. Radial is a Canadian company. I've used a bunch of their gear for live sound for the past long time. They sent me a bag of replacement parts a few years ago to refurbish some DI's at the venue that I work at. I can get down on that kind of customer service. They are easy to deal with and make really well built products. This piece isn't the sexiest piece of studio gear, but it solves a problem and doesn't seem like it's going to become one.

Hairball 1176 Blue Stripe

I got this as a kit to build myself. It's been one of the more in depth builds that I've done from a kit so far, but I think it came together well and I seriously love it. I have found it very useful and enjoyed the experience of putting it together. They were pretty helpful too when I roasted the stud diode like a dumb-dumb.

Vintech X73i

I picked up a pair of these after I had a pretty good year immediately before the pandemic hit. It worked out okay but I had expected that work to continue. Yikes. I have used a bunch of Vintech gear in a local studio and really liked it. But the selling point for me was calling the company one day for support and the dude that owns it just answered the phone like it was his cell phone. He was really nice and easy to talk to and helpful. These things sound great and I was already really familiar with them.

Lauten Atlantis

I'm waiting for this doggy-dog to get delivered now. I usually don't just straight up buy a piece of gear without knowing it and having used it a bit. But I took a chance on this one. I needed some kind of LDC. Didn't really want any of the usual suspects. I had tried some other things but didn't love any of them. But now I'm a little bit worried. It has a lot of switches. Switches always kind of weird me out on mics. Anyway, I am hoping that it will prove to be a useful tool.

Moog Rogue
Focusrite Scarlett i2
GSE KWB+
Roland JU-06a
Crumar organ footpedals
EGC Series 5 bass

Dude, I bought an insane amount of shit since COVID, maybe because of all of the savings by not going out and not taking trips. Or maybe I was bored.

Pedals: EHX Double Muff, chinese King of Tone clone, modded Rat2, Angry Charlie clone, MXR Phase 45 reissue, Boss BF-2, Idiot Box Blower Box, Digitech Digiverb, Hardwire RV-7 Reverb, Hardwire TL-2 Metal, EQD Bit Commander, RetroSonic Stereo Chorus, Boss DC-2w, EHX OpAmp Muff
Mics: Shure KSM137 x2, Sennheiser e602II, SM57, Beyer M88, Sennheiser MD421, and was gifted a Royer R10.
Synths: Behringer Pro-1, Roland JU-06a, Boss DR-660, Keystep Pro, EHX Crash Pad
Amps: GK800RB, Ampeg SVP-CL
Misc: RNP, RNC

Sold some stuff too though.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/