Re: Streaming Netflix/Hulu/etc. - what's good lately?

Gramsci wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:54 pm
enframed wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:52 am
penningtron wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:58 am
FX's Shogun is pretty enjoyable. Good pacing, good period details, not a relentless gorefest though it does get brutal at times.
Enjoying this one too.
Yeah it’s pretty fantastic tv. The production design and that it’s in Japanese is great. Probably my favourite miniseries on at the moment.

And holy shit, the cannon scene at the end if the latest episode… red mist.
Yeah, good scene, can't wait to see what's next.

I also think it's clever that when they speak English, for them, it's Portuguese. I've not seen that concept done before.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

enframed wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:35 pm I also think it's clever that when they speak English, for them, it's Portuguese. I've not seen that concept done before.
That is pretty cool. Although I speak Portuguese so it would have been even more interesting if they went fully in. Hearing the English guy speaking Portuguese then suddenly breaking into English when he’s muttering to himself or insulting people would have been really funny.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Gramsci wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:14 am
enframed wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:35 pm I also think it's clever that when they speak English, for them, it's Portuguese. I've not seen that concept done before.
That is pretty cool. Although I speak Portuguese so it would have been even more interesting if they went fully in. Hearing the English guy speaking Portuguese then suddenly breaking into English when he’s muttering to himself or insulting people would have been really funny.
Yeah, I'd have been down for hearing some semi-antiquated Portuguese and reading subtitles, but that would have limited their pool of actors (sorry, Lisbon!). In fact, I always think it'd be cool for a production like this to try and nail the English dialect of 1600. It had to have been quite a bit different (more Shakespearean) than the received pronunciation we get from Blackthorn, but I suppose this idea is difficult and not terribly commercial.

The weirdest part about Elizabethan English is that it sounded remarkably like American English today.

The BBC did a radio show years ago I can’t find that had linguists look at phonetic descriptions of Elizabethan English and had the Royal Shakespeare Company do a segment of a play in that accent. It was extremely odd, they sounded like Boston Bastards 😭
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Been enjoying Shogun as well. Last episode was pretty intense so I'd better watch something lighter. How about that show based on a video game?

[Watches two episodes of the Last of Us.]

Oh shit. That was heavy and I don't think I want mushrooms on pizza for a while.

OK. Nick Offerman's in the next one and he's funny.

....aaand he's a really good actor and now I have the feels and want to hug my loved ones.

Fuck. Fuck fuck.
https://genaumke.bandcamp.com/

Identikit, aka, The Driver's Seat, starring Elizabeth Taylor. On Night Flight Plus. Fucking strange film. I dunno how good, but strange and probably worth seeing. It looks great. Reminded me about her perfumes, a few of which are solid fragrances: Passion for Men, White Diamonds and Gardenia.

I'll be spending a lot of time on Night Flight Plus this spring.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

Netflix

Ripley (haven't watched it yet)

[Edit: I saw the first episode, and so far, it's okay, but not much more than that. The scenes where Andrew Scott pulls off his little cons while he is constantly on the verge of getting caught are great. But the show strikes me as being far too in love with its black-and-white cinematography.

Don't get me wrong: the production values are high for this series, and there is nothing that ruins the immersion into 60's era New York and Italy. But I get the impression that too much of the combined runtime of the eight episode series will be taken up with shots that look great and are more than are necessary to establish plot, mood, and character and the entire thing could have been half as long.]

[Edit 2: Through episode 3, and it’s growing on me. That episode in particular had a great second half, with the slow pacing working to its advantage.

People are complaining that the ones coming up are too “talky”. Guess I’ll find out.]

[Edit 3: Okay, it’s pretty good. Better than I expected based on the first episodes.]
Last edited by Anonymous37 on Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.