CRAP/NOT CRAP

NOT CRAP
Total votes: 19 (79%)
CRAP
Total votes: 5 (21%)
Total votes: 24

Re: Canadian TV Show: Letterkenny

TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:34 pm That makes me happy. For the record, I am from Sudbury, and played AA hockey there until I was 16 and discovered punk. Ask me anything.
I thought I saw in a previous post that you were from Sudbury… but didn’t know *which* Sudbury.

Dang.. Sudbury, ON is really far up there!

Would love to chat sometime.. I promise not to ask all “What’s it like up there?” questions.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

jfv wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:43 pm
TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:34 pm That makes me happy. For the record, I am from Sudbury, and played AA hockey there until I was 16 and discovered punk. Ask me anything.
I thought I saw in a previous post that you were from Sudbury… but didn’t know *which* Sudbury.

Dang.. Sudbury, ON is really far up there!

Would love to chat sometime.. I promise not to ask all “What’s it like up there?” questions.
Haha I don't mind at all, the older I get the more I appreciate how weird and wonderful of a city it is... it's up there, and even then it's the the southern-most part of Northern Ontario! There's lakes everywhere which is beaut, but it's a mining town and a lot of the nice pines and stuff were cut down in the city long ago, so when I lived there it had a level of grime - still, parts of it will always be beautiful. There are blueberries everywhere, and it's common to see people stopped on the side of the road to be picking or selling.
Almost everything closed at 5 or 8pm - late night food was scarce. Everyone knew each other and there were shockingly high quality local bands because it's on the Trans Canada highway so bands on tour HAD to stop there. I couldn't walk down the street downtown as a punker guy without getting yelled at from a truck and then fighting. Yet, if I was at a Hockey arena, all sins forgiven if we were fighting the team from across town. When I was a teenager fighting was an absolute commonplace - if you were from Sudbury it was assumed you scrapped regularly.
It was immortalized by Canadian Legend Stompin' Tom, who exists as a bronze statue outside the Arena where the wolves play
I think due to it's scrappy nature, and being the 'big city' (pop 150,000) in the North, it produces some really high quality export people.

Due to a combination of housing costs everywhere in Ontario, the existence of the internet, popularity from LetterKenney/Shoresy and a local film/television industry, its starting to feel what I imagine Portland was like in the 90s. I live in San Diego now, and can say there's a legit vegan taco place in Sudbury, go figure. Most of Toronto still doesn't know anything North of Barrie though so I think it's safe.
It's always my plan C to end up back home - my parents still live here: https://goo.gl/maps/mLBkQaFUn4EBxHaS7

Oh, and Shoresy is right - for some reason, people are better looking.

Awesome...similar background to mine actually (though I am from Vancouver Island originally), Between the ages of 12 and 15 I was obsessed with playing hockey and played AAA for a season. Around 15/16 I got into hardcore and after some injuries playing lacrosse and the fact my stickhandling wasn't up to par, I lost that obsessive interest. Watching Shoresy, the place Sudbury reminds me of is Nanaimo in the 90s, before gentrification and sealinks to Vancouver, just with lots of rain instead of snow.
Canuck fellow traveller. Guitarist/loudmouth in https://phenolhouse.bandcamp.com/ and https://heatsheet.bandcamp.com/

gustavprom wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:47 am
Awesome...similar background to mine actually (though I am from Vancouver Island originally), Between the ages of 12 and 15 I was obsessed with playing hockey and played AAA for a season. Around 15/16 I got into hardcore and after some injuries playing lacrosse and the fact my stickhandling wasn't up to par, I lost that obsessive interest. Watching Shoresy, the place Sudbury reminds me of is Nanaimo in the 90s, before gentrification and sealinks to Vancouver, just with lots of rain instead of snow.
ha! My stickhandling was also sub par.

TylerDeadPine wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:46 am
gustavprom wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:47 am
ha! My stickhandling was also sub par.
Yeah. My dad put me into lacrosse in the summer to improve my coordination but probably messed it up further.
Anyway, Shoresy - some many great little hockey culture references, my favorite being the ongoing gag about their obsession for ice cream drumsticks ('sticks" basically).
Canuck fellow traveller. Guitarist/loudmouth in https://phenolhouse.bandcamp.com/ and https://heatsheet.bandcamp.com/