Re: Jon Bois and other Quarantine Rabbit Holes

ErickC wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:59 pm When I first read this title I assumed John Bois was some kind of new goofy alt-right movement and not a name.
You've never heard of Jon Bois?

I envy you, because this means that you get to watch Pretty Good for the very first time. Sadly, a couple of the episodes are now lost to time (rights issues?), but there are plenty of great ones remaining, like "The Dumbest Boy Alive", which is a fucking masterpiece:

YouTube's algorithm served up this one to me only a month or so ago. Bobby Broccoli makes physics videos in the style of Jon Bois (one of his videos is a guide to animating like Jon Bois).

Bobby Broccoli came out with a three-part documentary about Jan Hendrik Schön about a year ago:

Part 2 and Part 3, if you liked that one. Well, he's also come out with a two-parter on the Bogdanoffs, and just today, he dropped a video about the Superconducting Super Collider.

The Dave Stieb series has been great so far. I admire Bois for his ability to zero in on the human aspect of the game while respecting that it is basically all a series of arguments about tallying numbers. His use of graphics, charts and even dumb shit like promotional video is extremely clever and visually unique. I'm not particularly engaged in sports writing but I love it when somebody carves out a niche with such a distinctive look, feel and voice. His stuff is to sports what Achewood was to panel comics, it feels completely new despite that we can see where it came from.
Anonymous37 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:43 pm Speaking of Jon Bois, I'm looking forward to watching the first part in his Dave Stieb series when I get home from work:

steve wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:47 am The Dave Stieb series has been great so far. I admire Bois for his ability to zero in on the human aspect of the game while respecting that it is basically all a series of arguments about tallying numbers. His use of graphics, charts and even dumb shit like promotional video is extremely clever and visually unique. I'm not particularly engaged in sports writing but I love it when somebody carves out a niche with such a distinctive look, feel and voice. His stuff is to sports what Achewood was to panel comics, it feels completely new despite that we can see where it came from.
Although I enjoy the occasional clip of some amazing play, I am not, unlike Steve, a huge baseball fan. So for those of you who aren't either, I'll say that Jon Bois and Alex Rubenstein do an incredibly good job of establishing why even someone who barely understands how the game is played would care. They make it clear that the tale of Dave Steib is a great story, not just a great baseball story. The title, "Captain Ahab: The Story of Dave Steib", is writing a check that--amazingly--the videos are able to cash.

Oh, and Part 3 is up:

Liminal Space (https://old.reddit.com/r/LiminalSpace/top/)

--but I guess more specifically "Backrooms"

What started out as an image in a thread asking for "creepy or unsettling images", someone posted this
From there someone made a comment on this image:

and from there it sort of took off. There is a whole "backrooms" wiki that seems to be continuously added on to but the thing that really had my attention were the videos this 16 year old kid made on his Youtube channel

Something about them grabbed me. For a variety of reasons and how he made them was also pretty eye opening for me.

This is the first one he released and the first one I watched which is technically the last in his playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4dGpz6cnHo