Re: Jon Bois and other Quarantine Rabbit Holes

I've just fallen into watching the very long videos of video games Journalist Tim Rogers, watching four of the eight choose-your-own-adventure review videos he's just put up on Cyberpunk 2077.

While the three hours or so - likely more than four, given I've paused and rewound many times to catch flashes of text and gags planted throughout - will never be returned to me, they've saved me the dozens of hours I could've spent on the game itself.

He currently strikes me as a slightly solipsistic, more earnest Jonathan Meades, and his onscreen manner would probably annoy more people than it would charm, but I like him. He seems like a nice chap with an ear for one-liners that cut though.
Last edited by sparky on Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

steve wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:24 am There's a lot of it, so a typically good place to start is his series on the Mariners:

This might be the greatest "sports" movie of all time. I'm only a casual baseball fan at best, but found this whole thing engrossing and actually pretty moving.

Great bit of M's trivia: there have been more Mariners that have experienced ruptured testicles on the field than M's post-season appearances (5 vs 4).
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

Mathematics is a nice balm of sanity and reason in a time of madness. This came up recently in a conversation about examples of the internet providing informative content as was originally hoped, rather than spreading chaos and lies. For anybody who hasn't seen it yet, this visual explanation of the fourier transform is one of my favourites.

This channel surely has the best line in animated maths graphs on the internet.

Andy wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:13 pm I tried to live vicariously through camping, hiking, and outdoor survival channels. This inspired me to get geared up and spend some nights alone in the mountains. I think it delayed the disintegration of my sanity by a month or two tops.
If you don't already, sub to this guy. He does stealth camping behind police stations, in overgrown road medians, and just all over the place. Plus he's Canadian and seems like a decent dude.

I got really into bushcraft and wilderness survival methods and gear when it seemed like we were entering The Stand, probably also as an escape from the computer-bound life that is doing grad school and internship via computer and telephone. Now I just wanna go camping for fun.

Anthony Flack wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:03 pm Mathematics is a nice balm of sanity and reason in a time of madness. This came up recently in a conversation about examples of the internet providing informative content as was originally hoped, rather than spreading chaos and lies.
Well it does a bit of both, no? Can't demand that it would stick to one or the other. Chaos is beautiful. Chaos is freedom.

Mathematics are nice though even if it's always a love/hate relationship with me. I'm into set theory, logic, geometry, algebraic structures and everything related to computer science.
born to give