Re: Interesting Gear Developments Thread

mdc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:02 am
I put on a couple NBA games and finished up 4-channels of Helios mic pres last night. Still need to get the front panels made, but at least they all seem to work when I checked them out at home. They're based on two '2128' amp cards in a row with a gain in the first stage, a trim control in the middle, and a discrete buffer on the output (helios apparently never used balanced outputs on anything, so there's only a transformer on the input).

As far as DIY pres go, these are pretty affordable - not a lot of parts, only one transformer, pots instead of stepped gain switches. Probably about $150CAD in materials per channel (plus whatever the panels end up costing I guess...).
These look so great
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

twelvepoint wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:15 pm
mdc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:02 am
I put on a couple NBA games and finished up 4-channels of Helios mic pres last night. Still need to get the front panels made, but at least they all seem to work when I checked them out at home. They're based on two '2128' amp cards in a row with a gain in the first stage, a trim control in the middle, and a discrete buffer on the output (helios apparently never used balanced outputs on anything, so there's only a transformer on the input).

As far as DIY pres go, these are pretty affordable - not a lot of parts, only one transformer, pots instead of stepped gain switches. Probably about $150CAD in materials per channel (plus whatever the panels end up costing I guess...).
These look so great
Yeah, nice work! Are those board edge connectors made to fit the preamps in a 500 series rack? Are these Sowter transformers?

Thanks! And yep - they're for 500-series, they just don't have front panels yet. Matt from Iron Age Audio released schematics and gerber files for a Helios pre/eq DIY project a few years ago and he was kind enough to modify the PCB layout so it's just the preamp.

I used hammond transformers as I'm in Canada so they're the easiest/least expensive option to source. I have boards for a few more channels so I'm curious to try a different transformer option and see if it actually makes any practical difference versus the hammonds.

mdc wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:13 pm Thanks! And yep - they're for 500-series, they just don't have front panels yet. Matt from Iron Age Audio released schematics and gerber files for a Helios pre/eq DIY project a few years ago and he was kind enough to modify the PCB layout so it's just the preamp.

I used hammond transformers as I'm in Canada so they're the easiest/least expensive option to source. I have boards for a few more channels so I'm curious to try a different transformer option and see if it actually makes any practical difference versus the hammonds.
what's the specs on the transformer? Might have something for you for the low/high cost of shipping

Please keep us updated on those pres!

I saw a Vintage King listing where some nice stuff is being built under the Helio$ name again but the roll your own stuff is so much cooler. I’m not handy w/ a soldering iron but I’ve read so many groupdiy threads on that stuff at work.

I know I have no business being rich because I would just blow a million dollars on freaky english 60s pro audio stuff.

mdc wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:24 pm
TylerDeadPine wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:03 pm

what's the specs on the transformer? Might have something for you for the low/high cost of shipping
👀👀👀
I’m intrigued!
It’s a 1:10

https://www.hammfg.com/part/1140-MN-A
Cool - i'm waiting for a reply from Carhill but I have some nice transformers I kept from and old preamp project that R. Neve designed, and I have zero info on them. if what they give me works out I'll send one too you and if you give thumbs up then I'll build my own too!

TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:41 pm
mdc wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:24 pm
TylerDeadPine wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:03 pm

👀👀👀
I’m intrigued!
It’s a 1:10

https://www.hammfg.com/part/1140-MN-A
Cool - i'm waiting for a reply from Carhill but I have some nice transformers I kept from and old preamp project that R. Neve designed, and I have zero info on them. if what they give me works out I'll send one too you and if you give thumbs up then I'll build my own too!
Oh wow - very cool, I’d happily swap you a PCB and a faceplate for that if they’re in the ballpark.