Re: Catch-all travel thread

Atlanta.

Strongly considering going there to see Mclusky at the Masquerade and then driving up to Knoxville for Big Ears the next day. I'll be there for half a day at least. Thinking about doing the World of Coca-Cola and/or the African American History Museum. Anything I shouldn't miss? Will also take food recommendations (nothing $$$ - thinking more fast casual).
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

Thanks for the Spain/Morocco advice! We booked a riad in Fes that looks absolutely gorgeous and is only $90 for 3 nights. Mostly doing Air BnB in Spain since we planned the trip last minute and most of the hotels are either sold out or stupid expensive. Can’t wait to get out of ‘Merica for a spell.

Just got back from nine days in Campania and Sicily. Visited 14 wineries and distilleries in seven days. Highlights were Amalfi Coast, Campi Flegrei, and all of Sicily that we saw. We stayed east in Sicily, basically, going from northern slopes of Etna south to Vittoria area, with a quick stop in Milo for the white wines. So great. Fuck I'm exhausted, and very full. Sicilian food is amazing, my favorite in Italy so far.
Last edited by enframed on Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

enframed wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:48 pm Just got back from nine days in Campania and Sicily. Visited 14 wineries and distilleries in seven days. Highlights were Amalfi Coast, Campi Flegrei, and all of Sicily that we saw. We stayed east basically, going from northern slopes of Etna south to Vittoria area, with a quick stop in Milo for the white wines. So great. Fuck I'm exhausted, and very full. Sicilian food is amazing, my favorite in Italy so far.
Totally jealous. I haven't been south of the Po Valley.

It certainly sounds like it was a great time!!
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

zircona1 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:05 pm Atlanta.

Strongly considering going there to see Mclusky at the Masquerade and then driving up to Knoxville for Big Ears the next day. I'll be there for half a day at least. Thinking about doing the World of Coca-Cola and/or the African American History Museum. Anything I shouldn't miss? Will also take food recommendations (nothing $$$ - thinking more fast casual).
There's just an insane amount of ethnic dining in the part of town known as "Buford Highway."

My mind boggles as I try to think of the most logical way to put it into any kind of format for you. I can tell you that the dim sum at Canton House is comparable to the best I've had in Vancouver, NYC, and SF.

There are several of the largest Asian grocery stores I've ever seen in North Atlanta. Many of these have restaurants inside them that serve incredible Korean food, Chinese dumplings and noodles. It's nuts. If you're hungry in Atlanta it's because you lost focus.

https://www.instagram.com/bufordhighway ... ket/?hl=en

https://www.hmart.com/weekly-sales-and-events/georgia/

https://megamart-usa.com/
tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.

Going to Istanbul, where we've not been since 2003, for five days in May. Would love some food recommendations (hole in the wall, traditional, fine dining, and experimental, all welcome). And also anything to do beyond the typical tourist stuff (since we've done most of that already). Staying in Şişli first, then somewhere in or around Beyoğlu.

After that, will be heading to Sarajevo, which is new to us. Restaurant stuff would be amazing. Plus a bunch of small towns and villages (Lukomir, Konjic, Stolac) in Bosnia's Dinaric Alps.

Followed by the Luštica Peninsula in Montenegro.

And a windup, mostly in Albania: Shkodër, the Accursed Mountains (based in Theth), the Lake Koman ferry, a bit of Kosovo (Gjakova, Prizren), and Tirana.

Anyone?

jfv wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:21 am
TylerDeadPine wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:01 am
jfv wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:37 pm

When you go to Hong Kong & Ningbo, will you be meeting up with locals (work colleagues?).. or traveling by yourself? Hong Kong wouldn't be so bad if you're going alone, but just about anywhere on mainland (except maybe Shanghai or Beijing) is challenging if you don't have someone to guide you around.
Yeah I’m with a guy who has been many times - we are into… very different things, but he can get around and speaks tourist mandarin
Cool. Probably much better than going there by yourself. There were a few times I traveled to mainland and didn't do anything except business meeting, restaurant, hotel room. Have a good time!

Follow up - Ningbo I did almost nothing but work and eat and sleep, but the downtown had some great food, was clean and people were nice.

Hong Kong is cool but way more international-business-tech hub than I expected… I don’t know why, I was very ignorant. No clue what I thought it would be like.

I got brutal vertigo there, probably from all the plane rides in a short amount of time messing my ears up. Tried to get to the top of the mountain and I could only get to Mid-Levels before needing to come back down. I needed to sit and found the Best-Dumpling-House-In-The-World run by my new HK locals buds Haley and Betty. They totally rock and the hand cut noodles are mind blowing. I stayed for 4 hours.
We ended up doing a gift exchange at Christmas. They sent me dumpling shaped couch pillows.
https://www.instagram.com/amaze_dumplings/?hl=en
They’re doing a pop up/guest spot somewhere in Denmark later this year, I’ll get the details if anyone lives there. If anyone is a mega baller or runs corporate you should fly them in to chef whatever event you have - I cannot overhype them enough.

Sharp change of topic, my spouse is nervous to travel without me since leukemia so I’m more than happy to go with to a work conference in Salt Lake City. I’ll have nothing to do during the day for four days and other than eat at Red Iguana would love any suggestions!

TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:58 am Follow up - Ningbo I did almost nothing but work and eat and sleep, but the downtown had some great food, was clean and people were nice.

Hong Kong is cool but way more international-business-tech hub than I expected… I don’t know why, I was very ignorant. No clue what I thought it would be like.
Haven't been to Ningbo, but your experience there sounds like almost all of my trips to mainland China (aside from Shanghai). I can't stress enough how nice the people are there; it was just difficult for me to do anything on my own due to lack of knowledge of the local area or language.

I have fond memories of Hong Kong, though they might be skewed a bit because it was my first place I visited in Asia. So different than anything that I had ever seen. I really want to go back. I haven't been to Hong Kong or mainland China since the pandemic.
TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:58 am Sharp change of topic, my spouse is nervous to travel without me since leukemia so I’m more than happy to go with to a work conference in Salt Lake City. I’ll have nothing to do during the day for four days and other than eat at Red Iguana would love any suggestions!
I've driven through there twice on my way to Nevada/California (from Illinois). When I went there 20 years ago, I had no idea how beautiful Utah is. Between the mountains and the salt flats, the landscape is incredible. That's probably what I would want to see (again) if I went back there. I don't know much about the city stuff. Have a good trip!
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

jfv wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:31 pm
TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:58 am Follow up - Ningbo I did almost nothing but work and eat and sleep, but the downtown had some great food, was clean and people were nice.

Haven't been to Ningbo, but your experience there sounds like almost all of my trips to mainland China (aside from Shanghai). I can't stress enough how nice the people are there; it was just difficult for me to do anything on my own due to lack of knowledge of the local area or language.

I have fond memories of Hong Kong, though they might be skewed a bit because it was my first place I visited in Asia. So different than anything that I had ever seen. I really want to go back. I haven't been to Hong Kong or mainland China since the pandemic.
TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:58 am Sharp change of topic, my spouse is nervous to travel without me since leukemia so I’m more than happy to go with to a work conference in Salt Lake City. I’ll have nothing to do during the day for four days and other than eat at Red Iguana would love any suggestions!
I've driven through there twice on my way to Nevada/California (from Illinois). When I went there 20 years ago, I had no idea how beautiful Utah is. Between the mountains and the salt flats, the landscape is incredible. That's probably what I would want to see (again) if I went back there. I don't know much about the city stuff. Have a good trip!
The people were SO nice. I wasn't prepared for that. I did get stopped on the street by women for photos, which my ego was completely prepared for. I have a friend who grew up in Ghangzhou so I had her on WeChat to keep me straight.

I felt the same way about Hong Kong and it was also my first place. The city coming into view while taking the train from the airport is a real experience.
Also I knew the British history/influence but didn't expect it to be so prevalent. It felt very much like an Asian-Canadian city - all the names of the streets, and the road signs, even the airport feels super similar to Pearson in Toronto

Utah is gorgeous! Zion park is a treasure.
I've been there plenty doing CNC/Robot work but lived the work-eat-hotel life. I'm looking forward to exploring SLC.