Why didn't Trump withdraw from Afghanistan first?

Because he's an idiot. (No votes)
Because he knew we'd probably fuck it up.
Total votes: 2 (8%)
Because he didn't care either way.
Total votes: 20 (80%)
Because he had no support.
Total votes: 3 (12%)
Total votes: 25

Re: Afghanistan

brephophagist wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:40 pm I also think it's dangerous to assume that Biden pulling uniformed troops out of Afghanistan will truly say "fuck off" to the military industrial complex
Quite.

A cynic might say with all the anti-China/Iran/Russia rhetoric that they pulled them out because they have more pressing concerns.
Dave N. wrote:Most of us are here because we’re trying to keep some spark of an idea from going out.

brephophagist wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:40 pm
I also think it's dangerous to assume that Biden pulling uniformed troops out of Afghanistan will truly say "fuck off" to the military industrial complex or end our military involvement in Afghanistan. We've already demonstrated that we'll continue to do drone strikes. Military contractors or "advisors" can operate from the border or even inside the country and our leaders will still dress the thing as if our involvement were concluded. We have done this exact thing, repeatedly, from Cuba to the Philippines to Vietnam to Iraq.
At the risk of sounding either flippant or naïve or both, I often wonder why war has to be in-person at all in the 21st century.

kicker_of_elves wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:00 pm At the risk of sounding either flippant or naïve or both, I often wonder why war has to be in-person at all in the 21st century.
It doesn't; they've pretty much been transitioning to remote drone strikes for the last 20 years.

However, if you want access to resources in the places you're invading/protecting contractors doing same that takes boots on the ground.
Dave N. wrote:Most of us are here because we’re trying to keep some spark of an idea from going out.

Trump didn't end it because ending it was unavoidably going to be a clusterfuck, which meant he'd have to take a beating on it for a while. And he doesn't have the ability to put up with that kind of thing with any grace. No guts.

The pointless, florid agonizing of the reflexively war-loving media as they watched their pet get euthanized was truly hideous. I guess they'll be onto something else soon enough. Maybe another war if they're lucky.

Um…. The US and U.K. didn’t end the war in Afghanistan… they lost the war in Afghanistan.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Gramsci wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:23 am Um…. The US and U.K. didn’t end the war in Afghanistan… they lost the war in Afghanistan.
Well we've only started wars with abstract unachievable missions in the last half century. Wars on communism, drugs and terrorism. Anyone with a philosophical bone recognized these as unwinnable from the beginning, but their objectives were probably disingenuous to begin with. So yeah stopping doing stuff to people, losing, whatever.

Gen. Mcchrystal: there’s a hunt to find a scapegoat. I don’t believe it was impossible. It was a failure of our system over time to be as effective as it could’ve been. (And of course the Afghans have agency as well.) It was good people with good intentions working hard and yet we failed. So we need to look in the mirror and ask if we tried hard why did we fail?

hbiden@onlyfans.com wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:58 am Gen. Mcchrystal: there’s a hunt to find a scapegoat. I don’t believe it was impossible. It was a failure of our system over time to be as effective as it could’ve been. (And of course the Afghans have agency as well.) It was good people with good intentions working hard and yet we failed. So we need to look in the mirror and ask if we tried hard why did we fail?
Why is McChrystal pretending like SIGAR reports/The Afghanistan Papers don't exist and haven't been on the public record since 2019? (I mean, I know why...)

The Afghanistan War was an unwinnable disaster. Anyone in the government who says otherwise is a liar, a ghoul, or both.