Why didn't Trump withdraw from Afghanistan first?

Because he's an idiot. (No votes)
Because he knew we'd probably fuck it up.
Total votes: 2 (8%)
Because he didn't care either way.
Total votes: 20 (80%)
Because he had no support.
Total votes: 3 (12%)
Total votes: 25

Re: Afghanistan

jason from volo wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:41 pm Hard to know if our actions prevented some terrorist attacks, but there hasn’t been anything nearly as bad as 9/11 from a foreign threat since then (at least on American soil), so I’m going to go out on a limb and say yeah, we probably prevented worse attacks.
I can't agree with this. Stomping around other countries killing innocent civilians *creates* terrorists, it doen't prevent them.
Dave N. wrote:Most of us are here because we’re trying to keep some spark of an idea from going out.

jason from volo wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:26 pm
Curry Pervert wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:49 pm
jason from volo wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:41 pm Hard to know if our actions prevented some terrorist attacks, but there hasn’t been anything nearly as bad as 9/11 from a foreign threat since then (at least on American soil), so I’m going to go out on a limb and say yeah, we probably prevented worse attacks.
I can't agree with this. Stomping around other countries killing innocent civilians *creates* terrorists, it doen't prevent them.
Point taken, and I don't doubt that the USA being an occupying force in Afghanistan for ~ 20 years did create many terrorists.

If the USA had not launched any sort of military offensive and left Al Qaeda intact, though, do you think that Al Qaeda would have said, "Well, that was good enough, our work here is done."?

Anyway, this is debating history. Hopefully the USA has learned our lesson at this point after Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, and others...
Just wait until children who are in single digit age now remember how the US totally bailed on them and left them at the mercy of an Islamofascist "government" once they are in their late teens. It's not going to be pretty.

Yeah, I mean we're talking about something that could be going round in circles for decades. Those kids in ten years pull off something big on US soil, POTUS feels the need to retaliate, invade again, create a new wave of US hating kids etc.
Dave N. wrote:Most of us are here because we’re trying to keep some spark of an idea from going out.