Who wins? SM or Andy?

Stephen Malkmus
Total votes: 9 (27%)
Andy Cohen
Total votes: 24 (73%)
Total votes: 33

Re: Indie rock guitarist dome: Stephen Malkmus vs. Andy Cohen

Paraphrasing what I had written previously (which is gone because I am an idiot):

Cohen is an incredible guitarist who played in a band(s) with two (or three) equally strong musicians.

Apologies to everyone else in the five-piece version of Pavement, but SM carries that band. A far distant second is the nonsense-screaming Bobby N.

I voted for SM.

BTW, really looking forward to seeing Pavement again later this year.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

Andy Cohen by a country mile.

I don't care about either of their levels of ability or whatever, I just think there's a gulf between them, in terms of vision or "writing"/creativity as guitarists. I like Pavement a lot, but to me, Malkmus is way more of a generic player, in the approach to what he does in any given song. He does x during the verses, y in the chorus, and then there are a couple of solo bits... Cohen feels way freer, and as a result is way more surprising. There's also an incredibly urgency to what he plays (and doesn't play). He makes SKWM and BP songs feel really important - desperate, even, at times. WHat he's playing often feels like it might fall apart, due to fear, rage, excitement, doubt or whatever the "theme" of the song is. His playing raises the stakes. Sometimes he sounds like he's trying to break his guitar, or break what guitar playing is. I don't know. Apologies if that sounds gushing or flowery - I just think he's a rare thing among musicians.

EDIT: from the few interviews I've read with him, a lot of the way it sounds really jars with his actual attitude, which always seems really light-hearted and fun. As someone who doesn't really care about most "lead guitar", I think an awful lot of what AC does is incredible, and often incredibly (for want of a better word) beautiful.

Dudley wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:08 am Cohen feels way freer, and as a result is way more surprising. There's also an incredibly urgency to what he plays (and doesn't play). He makes SKWM and BP songs feel really important - desperate, even, at times. WHat he's playing often feels like it might fall apart, due to fear, rage, excitement, doubt or whatever the "theme" of the song is. His playing raises the stakes. Sometimes he sounds like he's trying to break his guitar, or break what guitar playing is. I don't know. Apologies if that sounds gushing or flowery - I just think he's a rare thing among musicians.
Cohen is undoubtedly more spontaneous, reaching Sonny Sharrock levels at times. A lot of what Malkmus does seems off the cuff and carefree, but I think it's written to sound that way.
Music

3 is tough.

Silkworm -- Slow Hands
Sillkworm -- Plain
Bottomless Pit -- 38 Souls

I'm sure everyone into his playing/bands would come up with 3 completely different songs, which makes it hard to make suggestions. It's a lot of pressure all hinging on these 3 songs. i feel like i could potentially fuck things up for Andy.

If there was a good quality video of Tim and Andy at the touch and go fest on youtube I would post that. It's fucking beautiful.

Happyman wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:20 am 3 is tough.

Silkworm -- Slow Hands
Sillkworm -- Plain
Bottomless Pit -- 38 Souls

I'm sure everyone into his playing/bands would come up with 3 completely different songs, which makes it hard to make suggestions. It's a lot of pressure all hinging on these 3 songs. i feel like i could potentially fuck things up for Andy.
I don't even think this is a great example of what he plays, but a) it's an extreme example of the freedom and wildness and b) without knowing anything at all about how this was written, arranged or recorded, it's always struck me as a hilarious example of "so this song is you playing acoustic and singing, and you just want me to play something at the end? OK."
Cohen appears briefly from about 3.10