Propagandhi

Crap
Total votes: 16 (76%)
Not crap
Total votes: 5 (24%)
Total votes: 21

Re: Band: Propagandhi

Andrew wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:41 am Most people's dislike of this band is rooted in their first two pop-punk albums in the 90s. And I see the trend continues of people who haven't checked in on the band in literally 25 years. You are a quarter century behind the times on this band, fools.
then they should have changed their name so i could have voted "crap" on two different bands.

i'm sorry i decided to not keep track on things i find annoying.

The PRF 2.0 hates Propagandhi more than the OG PRF, haha.

Funny thing is these guys very quickly hated the SouthCal pop-punk thing, they antagonized the punkrock- jocks at shows and got death threats in that scene, and then got booted off Fat Wreck Chords by Fat Mike himself bc they criticized him and the Vans Warped Tour in the song "Rock for Sustainable Capitalism."

The better they got at playing over the years, the more they were able to bastardize their formative 80s metal influences: Venom, Voivod, Razor, Sacrifice. Not that they sound anything like those bands but they love them and draw on them. I guess Todd and Chris tried to convince Jordy to move to a double-kick drum at one point but he couldn't get with it.

Some people here used to insinuate that they were shitty musicians, which hasn't been true for a couple decades (they were teenagers when they started). I grew up seeing NoMeansNo all the time in the 90s and early 2000s. Seeing Propagandhi last weekend, I kind of felt like they had picked up that mantle a bit -- now that they're like 50 years old, pulling off super tight, technical material live, and still total hosers who mostly talk about farts and back problems between songs.

Why you are still reading this thead if you hate them is weird, but do go on about how they haven't evolved since 1996 and they suck. Maybe lean in harder though bc hate-threads are usually more entertaining than this!

Andrew wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:04 pm The PRF 2.0 hates Propagandhi more than the OG PRF, haha.

Funny thing is these guys very quickly hated the SouthCal pop-punk thing, they antagonized the punkrock- jocks at shows and got death threats in that scene, and then got booted off Fat Wreck Chords by Fat Mike himself bc they criticized him and the Vans Warped Tour in the song "Rock for Sustainable Capitalism."

The better they got at playing over the years, the more they were able to bastardize their formative 80s metal influences: Venom, Voivod, Razor, Sacrifice. Not that they sound anything like those bands but they love them and draw on them. I guess Todd and Chris tried to convince Jordy to move to a double-kick drum at one point but he couldn't get with it.

Some people here used to insinuate that they were shitty musicians, which hasn't been true for a couple decades (they were teenagers when they started). I grew up seeing NoMeansNo all the time in the 90s and early 2000s. Seeing Propagandhi last weekend, I kind of felt like they had picked up that mantle a bit -- now that they're like 50 years old, pulling off super tight, technical material live, and still total hosers who mostly talk about farts and back problems between songs.

Why you are still reading this thead if you hate them is weird, but do go on about how they haven't evolved since 1996 and they suck. Maybe lean in harder though bc hate-threads are usually more entertaining than this!

If this is the iteration of the band you think is mind-blowing, I'm not getting it. Every musical choice that is made by this band is cringe-worthy; the Seinfeld bass tone, the formless riffs, the Sum41-meets-Joey-Belladonna vocals. And sure, it is kinda technical with the odd-time gearshifts and noodling, but they don't use any of that stuff for any greater effect. To invert a line from one of the greatest of all Canucks- It has no philosophy. And that is what makes it harmless.

For all of the promotion and defending you have done for this band, both in the old and now the new forum, I still can't see what you see worthwhile here based on your hosanna-like posts. To me they just seem like a a lot of bad musical ideas coalesced into a joyless muddle. I wouldn't put them anywhere near NoMeansNo. That just seems pointedly insulting to NoMeansNo. They remind me a lot more of the crappy band Chris Poland formed after leaving Megadeth, Damn the Machine- a band memory-holed for a reason.

Crap, both in their pop-punk and prog-metal forms.

caga tio wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:25 pm
If this is the iteration of the band you think is mind-blowing, I'm not getting it. Every musical choice that is made by this band is cringe-worthy; the Seinfeld bass tone, the formless riffs, the Sum41-meets-Joey-Belladonna vocals. And sure, it is kinda technical with the odd-time gearshifts and noodling, but they don't use any of that stuff for any greater effect. To invert a line from one of the greatest of all Canucks- It has no philosophy. And that is what makes it harmless.

For all of the promotion and defending you have done for this band, both in the old and now the new forum, I still can't see what you see worthwhile here based on your hosanna-like posts. To me they just seem like a a lot of bad musical ideas coalesced into a joyless muddle. I wouldn't put them anywhere near NoMeansNo. That just seems pointedly insulting to NoMeansNo. They remind me a lot more of the crappy band Chris Poland formed after leaving Megadeth, Damn the Machine- a band memory-holed for a reason.
Crap, both in their pop-punk and prog-metal forms.
Thank you. This is a worthy shitpost. Informed, funny, smart, articulate. Put in the work! I totally get what you're saying about the bass tone, the vocals, and some other points. I would 100% have your opinion if I grew up wherever you did. Like this is not a band that sonically or aesthetically works for the average Fugazi, Jesus Lizard, Shellac, Can, Gang of Four, Sleep, Sunn o)))), Silkworm, The Fall, Archers of Loaf fan.

You mean people with good taste in music? My appreciation is super subjective. They're these prairie goofballs. So earnest, so cringey, and so pure of heart. Maybe you need to understand Edmonton winters and Winnipeg winters to get why I like this band. I've never listened to their first two albums. I've always hated pop-punk. I'm an unlikely fan. I don't like bands for their politics. Even as a teenager I didn't like RATM (in middle age I think some of the riffs might hold up though?).

If we're going to talk bass tone (and who the fuck would defend it lol), their gear rundown says it all. One of the YouTube comments is something like "most Canadian bassist ever."

Interviewer is such a fanboy and I probably hate all his favorite bands. My appreciation owes a lot to regionalism, to ethos and community in harsh environments, to hockey-and-Motorhead punkrock.

When their last album came out I was like, uhhh I like these guys but I dunno, too pop-punk and whatever. Not my bag. Seeing them rip through the songs live, I got it more. (And it's on you if you're still reading btw)

They love AC/DC, Cheap Trick, Megadeath, and also Code of Honor, SNFU, and NoMeansNo. There's that deep-running pop-punk thing, though, and I'd be more of an enthusiast if there was less of it I'm sure.

The opening of this so deeply uncool and cringey at one level, but the busy heavy part is I think genuinely great. Coupled with some of the lyrics, I think it's fucking awesome.

These are dudes who have worked as grouphome attendants and postal workers and whatnot throughout the band's "career." The band hasn't financed their families or anything for the most part. My appreciation is rooted in a regional ethos and scene that is not shared by the majority of their fans, I know. Not just dumb prairie punks, but a smaller subset of radicalized hosers (not that I even identify with their own political referents).

I don't think there's anything shameful or diminishing about liking a band because you have some personal connection to them. Like the enthusiasm that PRF bands have for each other is more amped up than the broader reception to PRF bands, but that doesn't mean it's deluded. If I was some dude somewhere else I don't think I'd like this band, but at the same time, I don't think my appreciation for them is a regional excuse or oddity; they're great.

Andrew wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:32 pm
I would 100% have your opinion if I grew up wherever you did.

My appreciation is super subjective. They're these prairie goofballs. So earnest, so cringey, and so pure of heart. Maybe you need to understand Edmonton winters and Winnipeg winters to get why I like this band.

When their last album came out I was like, uhhh I like these guys but I dunno, too pop-punk and whatever. Not my bag. Seeing them rip through the songs live, I got it more. (And it's on you if you're still reading btw)

They love AC/DC, Cheap Trick, Megadeath, and also Code of Honor, SNFU, and NoMeansNo. There's that deep-running pop-punk thing, though, and I'd be more of an enthusiast if there was less of it I'm sure.

These are dudes who have worked as grouphome attendants and postal workers and whatnot throughout the band's "career." The band hasn't financed their families or anything for the most part. My appreciation is rooted in a regional ethos and scene that is not shared by the majority of their fans, I know. Not just dumb prairie punks, but a smaller subset of radicalized hosers (not that I even identify with their own political referents).

I don't think there's anything shameful or diminishing about liking a band because you have some personal connection to them.
Great post! Every point pulled out above is completely understandable and relatable. Now I get where you are coming from. I don't have much, if any, of their/your background regionally/culturally/ musically speaking, but I get it and it's a great connection to have. I lived most of my early life in the southwest deserts of Arizona/Texas/New Mexico (with a little time in Paraguay and Brazil thrown in due to my dad's work) and the community/people/regional specificity of the Tucson/ Phoenix/Albuquerque/El Paso regions of the 70s/80s I felt a part of are long gone. To have a connection to folks through deep common experiences is something I haven't really had but I can appreciate it when I see it others.

Some of the replies to the old thread convinced me that there had to be something to this band that I was missing. I gave them some more listens and ended up liking Less Talk, More Rock a bit more than I did originally, but nothing else I've listened to has ever clicked. They seem like cool folks though, I didn't know about them getting kicked off of Fat Wreck Chords before this, that's pretty funny.