Gear: TALK ME OUT OF IT or JUSTIFY MY PURCHASE?

This is the thread where we beg and plead for someone to talk some sense into us when we got bit by the gear lust tick. Conversely could also be reinforcing someone making a good purchase decision. I dunno.

Anyway, I'll start. I'm an unapologetic lover of a lot of 70s and 80s music and have been since...well...the 80s. I want a DX7. Specifically a DX7II-FD as that seems to be about the most highly-regarded (but also 2x as much as a normal DX7).

What say you? PLEASE TALK ME OUT OF IT. I AM AN ADULT DESPITE WHAT MY BRAIN TELLS ME AND I HAVE BILLS.
Last edited by Garth on Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Gear talk: TALK ME OUT OF IT

The Dexed program will read carts. There are many sound banks out there. If you want FM this is all you need. When I have used Yamaha synths I have always used an editor. Don't buy one, they are all to old to be working correctly and if you don't have an editor you will go insane. Get a D-50 or M1 instead.
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."

I mean why WOULDN'T I want one? Listen to any demo and it's instantly obvious how many 80s sitcoms had their theme songs done on these.

For this, I'm absolutely not opposed to emulation/clone or whatever because yeah, it's more digital out-of-the gate, but I'm not super into ITB or soft-synths if anything ever might have an off-chance of being performed live. I've seen way, WAY too many laptops ruin shows so that's a hard no. No no no no.

But conversely, I'm very PRO using laptops to do the programming and planned on going this route. This has been WONDERFUL for me and the H9 and the SY-300. There's no way I want to try menu-diving on a DX7. Ew.

And that reface option would be perfect probably....except the midi thing to a keyboard kinda blows. And I 100% cannot do mini keys as I fat-finger too much with them.
Mickey242 wrote: Don't buy one, they are all to old to be working correctly and if you don't have an editor you will go insane. Get a D-50 or M1 instead.
This right here (emphasis mine) is the sensible answer for me. I have huge backlog of glitchy vintage stuff that needs to be fixed and I don't need more of that - and I certainly can't make the case that a 35-40 year old synth that had immediate cost-savings baked in would somehow be more reliable than a laptop emulator.

So might be that the emulator ends up being the route I go just to at least have the sounds to play around with in the basement after all. It's extremely unlikely this would ever leave the house and go to the stage anyway.

Ok, thanks everyone, you've talked me out of it - for now!

You've seen the clip from the Brian Eno documentary where he wants to demonstrate some of his DX7 patches and readily discovers that every single one in his own personal studio doesn't work?

Go soft. There are many options, mostly of very high quality. Plogue have just released chipsynth OPS7, which is inexpensive and (frankly) impeccable. Dump it in your VST host of choice, hook up a faderbox, and discover how much more fun and expressive FM becomes when you have a stack of real-time controllers to play with.