Was this funny?

Yes
Total votes: 8 (36%)
No
Total votes: 14 (64%)
Total votes: 22

dave chappelle

oh where do i begin.. robin hood men in tights lol and then half-baked and then growing up watching chapelle show with my little brother lol

he was disillusioned by being misunderstood by frat culture, and when it's supposed to be your time and you don't get decent respect it's a moral crime.. so you go through a phase of being disheartened but he's a good dude and made a family and moved to a place where he could make a political difference and now his stand up is so piercing and powerful it feels good on a level i judge all other entertainment by..

you need to see this:

Re: Dave Chappelle: The Closer

Geiginni wrote: words
You said it better than I ever could. My trans and black "facebook friends" have had a bad falling out, going after each other on social media about his latest special. Another thing I'd like to add, he seems to embrace the conservative tactic of viewing things as a zero-sum game. Like, there's only a finite amount of space on the social justice spectrum possible. And those GLB and Ts have usurped it from black people. Constantly bringing up individuals that had issues with his comedy, because they are trans themselves or the parents of trans individuals...get over yourself, you entitled fucker. Not everyone has to love you. What a thin-skinned, millionaire. Speaking of which, poor Kevin Hart and his net worth of $200 million. No one dreams of hosting the Oscar's as a kid. Wtf.

I never really liked Chappelle's Show, because I never liked sketch comedy that relied on catchphrases or real people. It always ages like milk. That's why Kids in the Hall, Mr. Show, Tim and Eric, etc. still seem fresh and relevant to me.

oh where do i begin.. robin hood men in tights lol and then half-baked and then growing up watching chapelle show with my little brother lol
I won't deny, he's done some hilarious shit over the years. Charlie Murphy's True Hollywood Stories still holds up as hilarious.
he was disillusioned by being misunderstood by frat culture
Boo-friggin-hoo. That's the risk anyone takes when they are critical of the bad-faith actors and ignoramuses within their own tribe. There is always the chance that those outside that tribe will consider that criticism as a blanket statement about that tribe en-toto. This is a universal risk, and one that includes my tendency to paint middle-aged, rural white men who have goatees and drive giant-ass trucks with the same wide paintbrush. In Dave's instance, however, history puts him in a more uncomfortable position.
..., and when it's supposed to be your time and you don't get decent respect it's a moral crime.. so you go through a phase of being disheartened...
Again, when he was being called out for his portrayal of common stereotypes by the Oprahs, [notorious convicted sex offender] and other black celebrities at the time, the tendency by his multitude of fans was to write them off as being overly sensitive. But through the lens of time, they were entirely justified in being critical of his portrayals, and our collective ability as an audience to not realize this probably reveals more about our collective social buy-in to those stereotypes than anyone would now be comfortable admitting.
but he's a good dude and made a family and moved to a place where he could make a political difference and now his stand up is so piercing and powerful it feels good on a level i judge all other entertainment by..
He may be a good dude and a good family man. Nobody is disputing that. Nor am I disputing that he's quite intelligent and possesses the ability to make sharp and insightful observations, such as the links you provide.

However, he is no longer very funny. And worse than that, he's proven to have his own prejudices and blind-spots - ones that he's doing a pretty piss-poor job of owning up to. By refusing to acknowledge his own mental ossification as an aging (presumably) hetero middle-aged male from Gen-X, he's become angry and reactionary, and angry reactionaries are never funny.

He needs to get off his untenable moral high-horse and admit how fucked up some of his worldviews are and align those within his worldviews that continue to be valid. His lack of humility and self-reflection takes him firmly into land of the Dennis Millers and Bill Mahars of the world. The more bitter he gets, the uglier the results will be.
Last edited by Geiginni on Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hbiden@onlyfans.com wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:26 pm He wasn't racist when he joked about white people and he's not transphobic now.
Mostly agree with this sentiment.
He's mocking our culture and his critics are proving his point.
Bullshit. He's playing to his generation's own insecurities and prejudices.

He's proving he's as thin-skinned (if not moreso) as his critics, and doing it from a perch of privilege that only a scant few of those critics could every hope to enjoy.

He's tired, and he needs to acknowledge his own bullshit if he ever hopes to retain any of the relevancy he enjoyed in his past.

biscuitdough wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:12 am
Ace K wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:40 am Chappelle left his comedy career behind when he realized that the jokes he was telling could be hurtful to a community that he cared about, and he returned to comedy when he could be hurtful to a community that he doesn't care about.
Should probably be the Netflix summary.
+1. Brevity is a wonderful thing!