Was this funny?

Yes
Total votes: 8 (36%)
No
Total votes: 14 (64%)
Total votes: 22

Re: Dave Chappelle: The Closer

Haven't watched it but I find everything that he did since his comeback pretty unfunny.
Trying to be too edgy and often comes alt- rightish.
That being said, was he really transphobic? Cause I've read both sides, even trans people defending him and saying he didn't say anything offensive. Or was it more like what J.K. Rowling said, which wasn't transphobic at all, yet is being canceled?
Sorry for my shitty English

boilermaker wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:16 am That being said, was he really transphobic? Cause I've read both sides, even trans people defending him and saying he didn't say anything offensive. Or was it more like what J.K. Rowling said, which wasn't transphobic at all, yet is being canceled?
Phobic? Maybe? Hateful? No. He's basically in the unfunny space of being confounded by gender issues in the same way Family Guy was in 2001-2005 (or perhaps Eddie Murphy in 1990). It's the kind of shit that's probably very tiring for trans people to hear over and over again.

He did state that he was on "Team TERF" which is a nod to Rowling. It's nice to know that feminism isn't about being focused on women's parts, until it is about being focused on women's parts. Oh well. She's just a writer of stupid kids books that celebrate tired old concepts like wizards, magic, the class-system and peerage, cultural imperialism, etc...

Geiginni wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:53 am
boilermaker wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:16 am That being said, was he really transphobic? Cause I've read both sides, even trans people defending him and saying he didn't say anything offensive. Or was it more like what J.K. Rowling said, which wasn't transphobic at all, yet is being canceled?
Phobic? Maybe? Hateful? No. He's basically in the unfunny space of being confounded by gender issues in the same way Family Guy was in 2001-2005 (or perhaps Eddie Murphy in 1990). It's the kind of shit that's probably very tiring for trans people to hear over and over again.

He did state that he was on "Team TERF" which is a nod to Rowling. It's nice to know that feminism isn't about being focused on women's parts, until it is about being focused on women's parts. Oh well. She's just a writer of stupid kids books that celebrate tired old concepts like wizards, magic, the class-system and peerage, cultural imperialism, etc...
I don't even know what a terf is.
And wouldn't know a lot about her books since I never read any.
Sorry for my shitty English

Haven't seen, won't bother seeing.

Not many comics handle political or socially divisive material well. Carlin is probably the gold standard among the greats? Kept the right targets in his crosshairs and didn't patronize his audience by appealing to suspect normative attitudes. Wasn't interested in pitting oppressed or marginalized people against each other, punching down, etc.

Some comedians with ostensibly good politics just aren't funny (though I see less of that than talented comics who have crappy takes). I appreciate comics who don't necessarily do much political material but use their public platforms to good effect. I'm sure there's many examples but I think of Paul F Tompkins. Not really a political comic but he uses his large social media following to advance progressive politics, sometimes with no humor at all. He's just like, I'm an actor and I support IATSE and unions. Cool. It's not part of a comedy act or bit; it's just a good public stance for his million followers.

jason from volo wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:03 pm
boilermaker wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:59 pm
losthighway wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:32 pm A terf is a trans exclusionary radical feminist, but I suppose you'd have googled it if you wanted to know.
I know it's abbreviation for that, thank you. But have zero idea what it actually means.
A feminist that vehemently supports women's rights except doesn't think that trans women count as women.

Sorry if I screwed that up.
I think you got it right.

Essentially, if you exist in the public sphere as a women, and are mistreated or discriminated against - as a woman, as still happens to women; it doesn't count because you don't have a vagina or uterus.

Trans-women who experience discrimination as women don't deserve a platform as feminists, because they don't have the right parts.

But... and this is the extra fun part: Trans-men can still be feminists and allies to TERFs, because they still have the right parts, even if they disavow themselves of identity as women or espouse sexist rhetoric.

My personal takeaway is that almost everyone, no matter how progressive or radical they were in their youth, past age 60 just crawls up their own asshole and becomes reactionary. The more radical in youth, the more reactionary in old age.

losthighway wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:46 pm So back to why the fuck did Chapelle feel the need to hitch his wagon to that pointless hybrid of progressive and conservative ideology?
I think it was just to shout out to JK Rowling as someone else who's famous and people got pissed off at.
Ain't really the first time that dude has been on some garbage along this line...