Was this funny?

Yes
Total votes: 8 (36%)
No
Total votes: 14 (64%)
Total votes: 22

Re: Dave Chappelle: The Closer

^ Holy shit. If you read his statement to the trans community and replace the references to trans people, with black people you can see how awful this is. It would literally translate to "I'm willing to talk to the black community, so if black people want to talk to me they have to watch my show first, come to a place of my choosing and then admit that x isn't funny." Even typing the example makes me uncomfortable.

There's no good version of that.

First, the guy is saying "It is not me versus the LGBTQ community. It is folks trying to control what I can and cannot say..."

Next, he is seemingly dictating terms to this community that is supposedly not in a "Versus..." situation with.

If it is a joke? It is one that he didn't really land.

If he is serious? Everything in that first part is obviously bunk.

Yeah, the problem with the whole thing is that he’s pitting 2 marginalized groups against one another, which can be funny for a second in the right context, but as the overarching theme to an entire output is bad. For that to work, you have to turn both groups against their real oppressor(s) in the end.

I really just found the jokes to be lazy and misguided. He was grinding an axe that somehow empathy and understanding are finite, and Trans people were using it all up. Didn’t make sense to me at all, and had an “old man yells at cloud” feel to it that’s pretty boring.

numberthirty wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:26 pm
losthighway wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:46 pm So back to why the fuck did Chapelle feel the need to hitch his wagon to that pointless hybrid of progressive and conservative ideology?
I think it was just to shout out to JK Rowling as someone else who's famous and people got pissed off at.
Ain't really the first time that dude has been on some garbage along this line...

he got a good point. only transphobes think men in dresses are funny.

hbiden@onlyfans.com wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:45 pm
numberthirty wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:26 pm
losthighway wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:46 pm So back to why the fuck did Chapelle feel the need to hitch his wagon to that pointless hybrid of progressive and conservative ideology?
I think it was just to shout out to JK Rowling as someone else who's famous and people got pissed off at.
Ain't really the first time that dude has been on some garbage along this line...

Only transphobes insist trans-women in dresses are men.

hbiden@onlyfans.com wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:19 pm
Geiginni wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:22 pm
hbiden@onlyfans.com wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:45 pm
Only transphobes insist trans-women in dresses are men.
ok but did we watch the same clip? That's not the issue.
I watched the clip and didn't get any takeaway regarding any kind of transphobia other than he just didn't want to put on a dress.

It was pretty goddamn funny whenever the Pythons and KiTH did it. I agree, Dave is pretty self conscious about doing anything that might diminish his masculinity. All his characterizations over the years have projected a degree of machismo that alone is pretty telling.

just watched it.

The thing that I notice the most is that his ego gets in the way of any viable point he thinks he is making. He negates any valuable "other point of view" by taking an immovable stance and deflecting any criticism by insisting that one groups struggle makes another groups struggle immaterial. He should run for office. He definitely has shit shoveling down to an art. Fuck... he may be the "GOAT" It is really strange to see someone consistently push so hard to assure you he doesn't mean any harm while actively saying hateful shit. Also, that whole story about his Trans comedian friend rang the same as when people say shit like "I'm not racist!!! I had a Black friend in High School!!!" It's fucking misdirection at best. After all that, it was lazy stand up. The jokes were weak. It was mostly him making excuses for why you aren't allowed to be mad at him. If he was using satire or humor to make you look at something from another perspective, I would at least give him that, but instead he just whines about being misunderstood, or makes ridiculous comparisons to the black civil rights struggle to the LGBTQ+ struggle. It is mind boggling to make any of that shit fit together in any way where he makes any sense.

Crap.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html